Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Non standard size external timber door for garage entrance

martyinbondi
Getting Established

Non standard size external timber door for garage entrance

Dear Bunnings team,

Not sure whether anyone asked this before or not? I am looking to replace one of my old timber door that is used to access my garage. The old one had its time with the water and the sun. I tried to search the timber door section in the Bunnings website and I found the one I had is not the normal size. But I managed to find one that is bigger than the size that I had. Can Bunnings tailor-made these timber door or can the team help us to cut down the bigger size one?

The only one I found online is Hume Doors & Timber Duracote SCX1 External Door - 1020mm x 2040mm x 35mm. And the dimension I need is 846mm x 1933mm x 35mm. What would be your recommendation?

Thank you in advance.

Martin from Bondi

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Non standard size external timber door for garage entrance

Hello @martyinbondi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing your non-standard door in the garage.

The good news is that you can order this door exactly to the size that you need it in. I suggest visiting your local store and speaking to a team member from the Special Orders Desk. Ask them for a quote for a plain exterior door in the size you indicated which is 846mm x 1933mm x 35mm. You can get it either primed or in a laminated timber finish. Depending on where you are, delivery times can vary, so it's best to ask them what the turnaround time is for the door. 

Once they have all your details, they will send them to Hume for quoting. When the Special Orders Desk gets the quote, they will contact you and will ask if you wish to proceed with the order. If you don't have a vehicle to carry the door, I suggest asking them to quote you delivery as well. If you need assistance ordering this door, please let me know. I'm more than happy to help.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric for your speedy response.

Just follow up questions:
1. If I intend to paint my colour of choice at the end, which option is better (primed or laminated timber finish)? Or can I pick a colour at the Special Orders Desk?
2. And what is the difference between primed or laminated timber finish. And I am not familiar with external door brand like Hume, what other brands you also recommend for us to look at?

Thank you again.

Martin from Bondi.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @martyinbondi

The difference between the pine and the timber laminated door is the finish. Timber doors unless being varnished need to be painted with primer before being painted with a base coat. Paint primer gives the door a prepared surface that allows the paint to bond with the door. If there is no paint primer, there is the possibility that the paint could peel or crack. The timber laminated door gives you a wood looking surface. The default paint primer colour is white. You can choose your own base coat when it comes time to paint the door. 

I suggest getting the paint primed door, it saves you from having to buy primer and all you have to do is to paint the door to your desired colour. The other door brands are Woodcraft Doors and Corinthian Doors. There are brochures in the store if you wish to see the full range of these doors. You can also have a look at the Bunnings website and type in the brand names.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Eric. Much appreciated for all the recommendations. I will take your suggestion with the paint primed door. 

Martin

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects