Workshop
Ask a question

How to convert shed to tiny home?

Brianna1999
Just Starting Out

How to convert shed to tiny home?

I'm currently in the design and planning stage of converting my shed into a home however, I am not sure where to start. The shed I will be renovating is a fixed structure with water and power. I assume the first step of my project will be to instal insulation throughout. What products/tools would be recommended for this process?  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shed to Tiny Home Conversion

Hi @Brianna1999,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us at the beginning of such an exciting project.

Would you be able to upload some photos of the shed? This will help our members to see what you're working with and offer specific advice based on your circumstances.

Insulation might be the first step depending on the structure of the shed. It's hard to tell without seeing what is there. This would also dictate what products and tools you need to insulate your shed.

Some questions I have are:

• Does the shed have exposed framing? Is it framed with timber? Or metal?

• Are you planning on installing plasterboard?

• Do you plan on having plumbing and wiring run throughout the shed?

Generally, insulation is installed after all the framing has been completed and the services (electrical, plumbing, hvac, gas) have been roughed in. If you still need to install internal walls or services, you would be best to wait before insulating.  

Any further information that you can provide will be helpful in planning and determining a starting point specific to your build.

Let me know if you require any assistance uploading images, I would be more than happy to help.

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert shed to tiny home?

Hi @Brianna1999

I wanted to join the discussion to ensure you're informed that contacting your local council is essential for understanding the requirements of your project. Converting a shed into a habitable space involves adhering to several stringent regulations. It's advisable to consult them before starting your project to avoid complications with construction codes down the line.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects