Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Space-saving tool cabinet

Alx
Cultivating a Following

Space-saving tool cabinet

Cabinet gives 4 times hanging space. Inside front doors outside and inside second doors and back. Using French cleats system allows moving tools around until you get them in a satisfactory position.  I have modified the setup with the French cleats since taking this photo. The cabinet itself is hung on French cleats. Space in my 3 x 2 metre shed is at a premium. It is still a work in progress.

Materials

Size of cabinet 880x660x390mm made from scrap 18mm chipboard. Piano hinges for 4 doors. Drawers hold bits and pieces (screws, sharpening stone, dowel jigs, etc.

Tools

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Space saving tool cabinet

@Tyro 

hahahah :smile: I have done a kitchen before :smile: I didnt end up with that issue, I did end up with pain drips down every wall one night... 

I will add to your not to do list...

-Dont paint a sealed room (Covered all the windows and doorways up so paint fumes wouldnt go through teh house...) at the height of winter and leave the 1000W halagen flood light in the room "to keep it warm" The humidy went through the rooof and I had drip ,marks everwhere the next morning lol

-Dont think multiple sheet layers on the floor over a sheet of plastic and then put halagen ligh on top is a waise idea... The sheet of plastic was melted to the golden coloured carpet... Had to shave the plastic off with a stanley knife! lol

I checked out the cabinet, nice! I dont have that level of setup/skill? :smile: I do appreciate nice work tho.

The things we learn :smile:

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

😂😂😂😂   I  can almost feel your pain with those 'oops' moments.  Hope your stay in the doghouse was comfortable!  🤣🤣🤣

And if you start off with little items you can achieve something as fantastic as the cabinets built by Alx or PeakyBlinder71.  Everyone starts off on the first rung of the  ladder! 👍🏻

Cheers 🤗

WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Space-saving tool cabinet

Great work @Alx.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

We are interested in turning your project into a Featured Project article. Do you have any more pictures you could share? 

It would also be great if you could share the steps you took in creating your tool cabinet. I'm sure any other tips or lessons learned would assist others wanting to attempt a similar project.

Many thanks,

Wayne

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Dave-1 

I was reading these posts again and had forgotten how to do a french cleat.  Unsure what your level of experience is, but this video has some excellent hints and tips!  I thought you might find it useful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0swpJpSHt3Y

I hope your bucket list of reno's has decreased a bit!

Cheers 🤗

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Tyro 

Now that is a sweet setup for a wall. Yeah I could do that for sure :smile: tho might need a new plate for the bottom of my circular saw (dinged it 😕 ) lol I really like them as it would save so much effort when rejigging a room around. Really, relaly should start digging my workshop out!  :smile:

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Good luck @Dave-1 !!  

Large cardboard boxes are also good!  My kitchen island has saws, drill, vice and etc tools, cooking, sewing and craft 'stuff' on it!  I have enough room for one bowl and a chopping board! 🙄😂😂

Maybe pick up an couple of old cabinets at Salvos or somewhere and revamp them?  That video gas me thinking of using the hall wall!  And fancy up some cupboard doors with some beading or timber trim.

Sorry to hear about the saw plate ... I've bern having alot of gaffs lately ... putting it all down to the gremlins and the little green men 👽👻🤖👾 🤣🤣🤣

Good luck if you're putting a bit on today's race!

Cheers 🤗

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Tyro 

my "Gaff" was noy using the circular saw correctly in an enclosed space... I really didnt listen to the guy on my shoulder when he was saying"is that wise" shaking my head at myslef. :smile:

I find when I am tired, stressed or just have things on my mind other then the job is when I make those mistakes. The French cleats reminds me of the old school picture rails (which I still like) and have been tempte dto do a modern version for the hallway at least!

Nah, I use to run the sweaps for work but dont anymore. But good luck if you do :smile:

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Dave-1 

I have one of those shoulder companions too ... it's voice has got louder over the years!  And I've heard too many nasty stories about farmers ending up in an ambulance by ignoring that voice!  I have to remind myself that I'm retired so there's no rush to do the job and so have little nap instead of rushing it!  It must have been a relief to you that at  least it was only the saw that needed repairing! 😁

The picture rails sound great!  Alot of spirit level work involved, but if your place has high ceilings they would certainly give it nice touch.  

I don't follow the race.  I spend too much money at the hardware store! 🤣

Good luck safely getting through The List!

Cheers! 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects