Workshop
Ask a question

How to stop water seeping into the garage?

Deepak2
Finding My Feet

How to stop water seeping into the garage?

There is a 20 cms gap between my garage wall and the fence with my neighbor. The neighbor's property is higher than my Garage and when it rains the water invariably seeps into my Garage. 

It is a new house and the Builder has done water proofing inside which has not helped much. They mentioned they would like access to the neighbor's side and remove the fence and work on doing water proofing from the outside. My neighbor is refusing giving access to their side. Hence I am looking at a solution that can help in between the fence and my Garage wall. I don't have photos  of the gap at this time but can send them tomorrow. 

I would like to know what I can do to get the water not coming in the garage and who is the right tradesperson who can do this work.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water seeping into the Garage

Hello @Deepak2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your garage.

It will definitely help if we can see the gap between your garage and the neighbour's fence. Generally, I would suggest thinking about installing an Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel. But it will be a challenge to dig up the side of your garage and install the drain in such a tight space.

Once you've posted your photos, we'll be able to better assess your situation. We can then make recommendations on how to address the issue.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Deepak2 

😕 There are lots of us with the same problem, We do like to maximise our yard space :smile: I am wondering if something along a spray pack of waterproofing would be useful, Depends on how high the soil is up against the garage wall otherwise you run into the issue of what @EricL is describing. 

Crommelin 400ml Grey Sprayable Exterior Grade Waterproofing Is one that I found on the Bunnings website that may be suitable, Just depends if you can have some sort of extended holder for further along the edge of your garage. 

Sealing the inside of the garage with a bitumen paint could work to a degree but the water pressure through the brick work long termn would want to push it off.

However.... Just thinking outside the square. If you sealed the interior of the brick wall with bitument paint to a height of two brick courses higher then the outside ground, let it dry and then put a kickboard (2 bricks higher then the outside level of your ground next to the garage) of marine ply and paint it with the bitument paint (its thick sticky, very sticky stuff) on the side going up against the wall. I wonder if that would work? Secure it with Masonary screws.

Would be interesting if the other memebrs rate the idea? Id give it a 7 to an 8.

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening again @Deepak2 

Now facebook is throwing up waterproofing suggestions in my newsfeed lol However I dont mind when it provides something interesting. It was showing how to waterproof retaining walls (always a hot topic in here) and then I though why not go look at the companies page.

Gripset is the companies name and the link should take you to a product that has 

• Handles both positive and negative moisture pressure (so my thinking is it can be painted or trowled on the inside of a wall) I am sure @EricL will know more about it then myself tho.

And just checked the Bunnings page and the bitument paint I have used is gripset brand :smile:

Dave

Thanks Eric. I’ll send you some pics tomorrow. 

Thanks Dave for your advise. I’ll send you some pics and you can let me know what best to do. 

Hi Dave, iIs the rubber adhesive sheet workable when applied inside the garage? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Deepak2 

Not sure what you mean by the rubber adhesive sheet? However this is the page with the product Gripset C-1P 

I just watched the two videos and the second one is one I think will help you most. The specs say inside and outside the wall in the basement, however you can roller this on once you mix it, (potentially in that 20cm gap 🐵 and if you have soil that is above the slab or the brickwork level with your slab maybe you could use a hose to carve out a chanel to remove the soil?  and paint the bottom several courses of brickwork only?

They also suggest to hit up their helpline about the product. To me we can never ask too many questions or even ones we feel are a little silly as it all goes to knowledge to help us do the job. 

I have only used their bitumen paint before and it was sticky as, I didnt watch any how to vids :surprised: and my arms were tired afterwards but it really sealed the outside of my brickwork of the garage. Fixing water ingress issues in garage is the project and step 5 is where I use the bitumen paint to seal the bottom couple of courses of brickwork. I sealed to the concrete footing and part of the concrete footing with the paint and havnt had water enter since (believe me I rush out and have a look every time we have had downpours m:) ) I should have watched the videos and really should look at a suppliers site (never really considered that until I just checked out for you.

Dave

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg

Hi Dave

I have posted 4 images to Eric. Can you see them? If not I’ll post them to you too. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects