Workshop
Ask a question

How to stop water seeping into the garage?

Deepak2
Finding My Feet

How to stop water seeping into the garage?

There is a 20 cms gap between my garage wall and the fence with my neighbor. The neighbor's property is higher than my Garage and when it rains the water invariably seeps into my Garage. 

It is a new house and the Builder has done water proofing inside which has not helped much. They mentioned they would like access to the neighbor's side and remove the fence and work on doing water proofing from the outside. My neighbor is refusing giving access to their side. Hence I am looking at a solution that can help in between the fence and my Garage wall. I don't have photos  of the gap at this time but can send them tomorrow. 

I would like to know what I can do to get the water not coming in the garage and who is the right tradesperson who can do this work.  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water seeping into the Garage

Hi @Deepak2,

What your builder has said is correct that there is a need for access to the outside of the wall to effectively stop the water ingress. Measures taken on the inside of the structure can help but will not completely prevent the water entering.

The drain my colleague @EricL has linked to and the waterproofing spray @Dave-1 has linked to would both be good for this application but would require access to the outside of the garage.

A section of the fence, however, would need to be cut out to allow the install of both the drainage channel and waterproofing spray. Maybe offering to pay for the installation of a new section of fence will persuade your neighbour.

The solution to this problem will have to involve your neighbour's cooperation. You might like to make some enquiries with your local council to see if they offer assistance with this kind of issue. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Deepak2 

Thank you for the pics and yeah I can see them. How much lower is the ground to the level of the concrete in your garage? It looks like its resonably close to being level if not lower tho cant tell from the other end? I can understand about your neighbours hesitation about the fence 😕 The nails are on your side and if you remove the pailings then they come off towards your place but putting them back will change how the fenceline looks on your neighbours side of their yard.

Would it be possible to use a hoe like this Spear & Jackson Swan Neck Hoe to drag out those chunks of concrete and then lower the soil as much as possible. That way the level will be bvelow the concrete slab and the drain just before your door to the garage can do its job?

Other then that I would be contacting Gripset and asking if they can recomend any product for the incide couple of brick courses of waterproofing. Is there a particular point the water enters through the bricks? Or does it seep in along the length?

The garden bed next to the back door, does that stop the water cooming through and funnel it towards the door grill drain?

Dave

Thanks Dave.

The water seeps in along the full length of the garage from mortar at the base of the brick wall. 
Will try and get the soil out. The hoe may be slightly short but will try from both sides of the garage. 
The issues there  are a couple of bricks in between standing upwards so that would pose an obstruction. 
Also how will the water flow of to the drain?  Is there a kind of top open pipe that I can lay in that space ? 

Hi Dave

Will check with Gripset. 
wondering if I can apply an external layer from the small gap , even if it is only in the two sides of the garage. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Deepak2 

The drain appears to be lower then the level of your garage slab oif concrete near the back door. I was presuming water from the back would drain to this point. Is that so?

Dave

sara22au
Building a Reputation

Re: How to stop water seeping into the garage?

I have to ask...which council allowed a new build a. This close to a neighbours fence, and b. Didn't insist on measures being taken to ameliate any water issues?

Ik when I built in 2004 ( my 2nd build), council insisted on at least a metre from fence line, specified retaining walls and drainage installed, and numerous other additional structural clauses/builds that meant something like this couldn't ever occur.

Any build that's lower than the adjoining properties is responsible for any additional structural builds to maintain property integrity. Neighbours aren't responsible for issues you incur from your own build. Your builders should have put in both retaining walls and drainage down that side, BEFORE building, and definitely should never have been that close to ANY fence line.

Since council approved it, I'd be hitting up council first and foremost.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water seeping into the garage?

Hello @sara22au 

Thank you for sharing your ideas regarding the garage. Let me tag @Deepak2 to make sure they are aware of your suggestions. It is definitely an avenue worth exploring since the council approved the plans.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects