Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of plasterboard do I use for rain to enclose a carport?

KD72
Finding My Feet

What type of plasterboard do I use for rain to enclose a carport?

Hi

Looking to partially enclose  a carport and am getting confused over what type of plasterboard to use. The sheets would be in the elements (rain, sprinkler and sun) so am assuming sealing and painting required.

However is there a specific product suitable for this application?

Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of plasterboard do I use for rain to enclose a carport?

Hi @KD72,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

While there are plasterboards that are water resistant and suitable for use in wet areas such as bathrooms, they rely on waterproofing and specific methods of construction for them to be 100% effective. In a completely exposed setting, there is not a plasterboard product suitable for use.

I would advise you look at a fibre cement product such as HardieFlex which comes in a variety of sizes that mirror those of plasterboard and is suitable for external use. The installation requirements are slightly different to plasterboard but are no more difficult. Once installed, it can then be painted to any colour of your choosing with a suitable external paint.

If you wanted something a bit more aesthetic, you might like to look at James Hardie Brushed Concrete Cladding or James Hardie Fine Texture Cladding as options.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

KD72
Finding My Feet

Awesome thanks Jacob.

One other question is painting enough or will it need a waterproof sealer?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KD72,

The sheets themselves do not require a waterproof sealer, and exterior-grade paint is sufficient for finishing them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects