Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workbench and cabinet in man cave

toughgamer
Cultivating a Following

Workbench and cabinet in man cave

I've been working hard to get my garage up to shape since last year we bought the house - we live in a nice cul-de-sac so we have massive driveway which allows for 2 cars parked side by side or in tandem and still leaves plenty of walk space which means the garage is all mine to play.

My most recent project is the workbench + 2.2 meter tall cabinet combo, using solid FJ wood panels and 30mm BC grade plywood from Bunnings. I applied hardwood moulding / trimming along the exposed edges and also applied 3 layers of water based varnish, sanded down with 120/240 then a 3000 grit to do a shiny smooth finish. Also chamfered the hard edges using a Makita planer and some 60 grit sandpaper with a Bosch blue random orbital sander.

You'll find in the picture also my new arcade cabinet featuring a 32 inch screen, acrylic covered front panel and control panel, took me 6 weekends to finish together with my then 11 year old boy last year. It's also paired with dolphin bar and Wiimote controllers for some lightgun arcade shooting games.

In the process of making these awesome toys and storage, I also made a make-shift drop saw station with awesome dust collection (I built a dust cyclone myself as well for less than 40 bucks), and 2 foldable wings for timber support and precision cutting using a stop block and a clamp.

And a dart board that is now practically just a decor cos we got hooked with pingpong recently :laugh: 

and light is upand light is up

took me and wife half an hour to put up the side panels for the cabinet - it's 21kg each side...took me and wife half an hour to put up the side panels for the cabinet - it's 21kg each side...carcass is readycarcass is readyshelves are readyshelves are readyworkbench and cabinet side by sideworkbench and cabinet side by sidedoors are done!doors are done!all 4 doors are up!all 4 doors are up!shiny!shiny!hard oak edgehard oak edgeplenty of storageplenty of storageready for first round of paintready for first round of paintput some brackets for shelvingput some brackets for shelvingshelf is up!shelf is up!pegboard combined with French cleat - win-win!pegboard combined with French cleat - win-win!and light is upand light is updrawers drawersdrawers drawersall drawers done!all drawers done!tidied up with the old recliner 3 seater back in positiontidied up with the old recliner 3 seater back in positionmake-shift drop saw stationmake-shift drop saw stationand this bad boy has wings!and this bad boy has wings!the arcade that took me 6 weekendsthe arcade that took me 6 weekendsfancy dart board - yet to be usedfancy dart board - yet to be usedspacey! with timber for outdoor table (next project, probably for Xmas)spacey! with timber for outdoor table (next project, probably for Xmas)added storage for my beloved Bosch blue drills and drivers (you can never have enough drills and drivers can you?)added storage for my beloved Bosch blue drills and drivers (you can never have enough drills and drivers can you?)scrap wood? no worries, now I got myself a little laptop standscrap wood? no worries, now I got myself a little laptop stand

greysarge
Finding My Feet

Re: Workbench and cabinet in man cave

Awesome job, lots of ideas in this one mate.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @greysarge 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Let me tag @toughgamer to make sure they see your kind words. Will you be building a similar mancave in your garage? If you do, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the start of your project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
toughgamer
Cultivating a Following

thanks mate! yeah this was quite a good learning process and since then I also upgraded the tools and made a few more things I might post them here later.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love the setup, @toughgamer! The extra mile you've gone on finishing touches really brings it all together. I trust it is an absolute pleasure to work and relax in this space.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects