Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alternative to a conifer for screening

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Alternative to a conifer for screening

We’ve been recommended to use a conifer like Junipersas Spartan as a screening plant along a fenceline. I’m not sure I like the look and it sounds like we’ll have to be patient as it can take a while to reach the kind of height we’re after – two to three metres. Can anyone else suggest an alternative? Thank you. Bev

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Alternative to a conifer for screening

Bev, this is what you'd get with a conifer - a very traditional looking hedge. 

spartan-juniper-privacy-screen.jpg

I would imagine that a lot of people would recommend a pittosporum as they are fast growing - up to a metre a year. For screening you just want one that is sturdy and grows upright as well as bushing out.    

Thank you. Not really keen on pittosporum. Be happy to hear any other suggestions. 

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

There are a large number of plants that you could use for screening around that 2 -3 metre mark - Here are just a few suggestions

• Magnolia's (Little Gem or Teddy Bear's)
  • Pittosporum's
  • Camellia's
  • Viburnum's
  • Lily Pilly's
  • Photinia's
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Another option I've been recommended to have a look at is Muraya. Apparently they are a great screening plant - very fast growing, fragrant white flowers and nice and clean.

Murraya-paniculata-HEDGE.jpg

Orange_Jasmine_(Murraya_paniculata).JPG

Another option you might like to consider is an ormanental pear. They are popular because they are tough, fast growing and look great. They also tend to grow at a uniform rate so are great for planting in a row. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects