Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard garden with self-watering planters

IDIG
Having an Impact

Backyard garden with self-watering planters

This is my backyard garden , living in retirement village , all of backyard is paved so I have used GLOWPEAR self watering planters . 9 small planters on 3 tier bench , 3 large on paving mounted on wheels to move around to catch the sun . Also have espalier fig tree ( black Genoa ) now 4 years old , last season approx 50 figs 

Materials

Glowpear planters , 3 tier custom built stand 

IMG_0191.jpegIMG_0203.jpegIMG_0265.jpegIMG_0249.jpegIMG_0266.jpegIMG_0267.jpegIMG_0268.jpegIMG_0205.jpeg

Tools

Gardening small hand tools , potting soil , purchases from Bunnings

Espalier fig tree

• IMG_0206.jpeg

Steps

Step 1

3 tier stand custom built galv from shade house manufacturer , assembled with 9 planters . 3 large planters mounted on aluminium plate / casters to make them moveable plus espalier fig tree

IMG_0206.jpegIMG_0202.jpeg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Backyard Garden Brooklyn Park SA

These are fantastic @IDIG, can I ask if those tiered planters at the back are easy to reach and work on ? 🌿💚😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard garden with self-watering planters

Hi @IDIG 

Those plants look very healthy despite the small space. Looking at the photos it seems that you've made good use of the available space. It must be relaxing in that area when everything is in full bloom. 

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful garden setup.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
IDIG
Having an Impact

Mich , I use 2 step stool , I usually grow slow growing Veg up top , spring onions , salad onions & coriander , Regards Don

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Don , ok I wondered how you reached up. Love your edibles 🌿💚

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard Container Gardening

Hi @IDIG 

What a super-functional project you've completed there! Did you weld the tiered frame together yourself? Really nicely done and such an efficient use of space.

This would make an excellent entry into our 2023 project search for Australia's best D.I.Y. project, so I've entered it for you.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Backyard Container Gardening

Mitchell , galv stand was custom made by shade house manufacturer , now not doing that product , come it kit the just fitted together with push in joints , no welding required. , Regards Don

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects