Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I repot and move Coleus and Anthurium plants in winter?

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Can I repot and move Coleus and Anthurium plants in winter?

I have a Colesus plant which I need to plant in the  garden bed. I am not sure if I could have this done during winter. It is a big plant.

I have a crowded Anthurium which need to be  divided and re potted. Again I am not sure if winter is the right time to do this. It is crowded. Can I put the Anthurium in the garden bed? Coleus.jpganthurium.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Plant Coleus from pot to garden and Anthurium to be divided repot

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gardenhelp. You've come to the right place for assistance with all your home improvement and gardening projects. We're here to help.  

Can you please provide a little more detail as to the help you are after so our ever-helpful community can offer assistance?

Photos can also often be helpful so other members can see what you are working with. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Jason,

I have sent the photos and my questions. Sorry I am not very good at this. I  do not want to have someone do this for me, if it is not the right time.

I appreciate if you could help me. Thank you.

That's great @Gardenhelp. Thanks for editing your post and adding the extra detail. I'll ask one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you ASAP.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Gardenhelp

Thanks for sharing your questions about your coleus and anthurium plants. If the coleus roots are not stressed or overgrowing outside its pot, I suggest waiting for winter to pass before you transplant it to the garden. The added stress of winter will make it difficult for the plant to settle and acclimate to its new environment. Please remember that when you transfer the coleus to its new location make sure to use well-draining soil. 

I recommend the same thing for your plans with the anthurium. If you can postpone your plans after winter it will be better overall for your plants. However, if you feel that the anthurium will get stressed, you can split and re-pot it, but I suggest keeping them indoors in the evening so that they will not have to battle cold temperatures while they try to recover from the re-planting. You can then bring them out in the morning for sunlight.  

Once the anthurium has established itself, it should be safe to leave it outside. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Gardenhelp 

Eric has given you the right information - repotting or transplanting the coleus and anthurium at this time of the year may do more harm than good.

The anthurium is growing quite well and flowering too.  It doesn't really need moving into a larger pot at this stage - it looks quite happy and healthy where it is.  I'd leave it alone this year and review its situation in late summer or autumn.  Anthuriums don't mind being 'bushy'. The current pot size looks to be quite OK for the time being.

The coleus can be repotted in spring - mid September.  It could go into the garden depending on where you live - if you're in Brisbane or northern NSW for example it will do nicely ion the garden.  If you're south of Sydney, I'd keep it in a pot. When you repot you will need to cut it back a little to encourage bushiness.

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Thank you very much Eric..I will wait until winter is over and there is more sunshine. I live in Epping NSW, northern west Sydney. My property is North facing  but I dont have much room for the Coleus. I wonder if the South side more shadier with after sun be alright? I am sorry but I am inexperienced in gardening.

I appreciate your help and time.

Kind regards

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Noelle,

Thank you very much for your help. I live in Epping. NSW . Northern west Sydney. When winter is over and in summer, I wonder if I can plant the Coleus in the south side garden, which is shadier with afternoon sun.

IGood appreciate your help and time. I am quite inexperienced in gardening.

Thank you

Kind regards

Please excuse my typo I meant I do appreciate your time and help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gardenhelp

It's perfectly ok to ask us questions about your gardening project. The Coleus is ok with being in a partly shaded sunny area, it's recommended that it be exposed to early morning sunlight rather than late afternoon. Intense afternoon sunlight and heat will damage the leaves of the Coleus. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of where you plan to plant the Coleus? This will give our members a better idea of its location. We can then make recommendations if the area is ideal for the Coleus.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects