Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use a gate valve tap as a garden tap fitting?

dave6
Just Starting Out

Can you use a gate valve tap as a garden tap fitting?

I just like the look of them better than a regular tap. I know a garden tap does not come with a gate valve style but I've whipped one up with different couplings. thumbnail_IMG_8109.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use a gate valve tap as a garden tap fitting? Or is it no good?

Hello @dave6 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about using a gate valve as a garden tap.

I totally understand your desire to have your garden tap look a certain way. The gate valve handle is so much more relaxing and secure to hold onto. Plus, the red colour just makes it look fancier.

Unfortunately, gate valves are not designed to be turned on and off repetitively. Thus, the side walls of the gate itself wear out and then it starts to leak. It's difficult to tell how long the valve will last, its main purpose is to either stay open or closed for long periods of time.

I recommend using a Standard Brass Garden Tap for long term service. But I will leave the decision up to you.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects