Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I confirm if my Ryobi 18v 6Ah battery is faulty?

chickensoup64
Just Starting Out

How can I confirm if my Ryobi 18v 6Ah battery is faulty?

Recently (~4 weeks ago) I bought a Ryobi 18v 40cm lawn mower kit wtih 6Ah battery and a fast charger with another 6Ah battery. One of these - I think the one which came with the mower - performs significantly worse than the other. For instance, one of the batteries covers about 25m2 (think large master bedroom size) before running out while the other does about the same and still has 3 bars of charge remaining. The poor battery also heats up by the end of its 20 minute use. I expected to get probably twice that time and right now it feels like this tool and battery combo won't fit the job. The lawn is sometimes long in parts when rain has prevented mowing for a week or two but usually its cut to height settings 3 or 4.

I think one of these is a dud but not sure how I can confirm it's faulty. How can I prove this? Can I return it to Bunnings and exchange?

003462 serial number is the poor battery. 

20221117_204812.jpg

20221117_204818.jpg

Side question regarding the mower: are the mulch settings for height 1 and 2, or are the height settings mulch (0), 1 and 2? I.e. three mulch heights vs two.

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: How can I confirm if my Ryobi 18v 6Ah battery is faulty?

Hi @chickensoup64 , the dead give away is the battery getting hot after a short time , this indicates a high internal resistance in the pack in one of the cells, just take it it back and swap it , i dont think you will have issues getting it replaced

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chickensoup64. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ryobi batteries.

I suggest you take the faulty battery and proof of purchase into your local Bunnings store and speak with a helpful team member from the Power Gardening section. If one battery is heating up significantly and has a limited runtime, it sounds like it is faulty. 

Please let me know if you run into any difficulties returning the battery.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chickensoup64
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the info an welcome, I might see if I can pop down this weekend.

What sort of performance in terms of time and m2 coverage should I be expecting out of this mower with a single 6Ah battery when operating?

It's very hard to give you a m2 coverage @chickensoup64 as it depends on how long the grass is. You should get around 20mins runtime for a maintenance mow when keeping the lawn in check. If it's overgrown, then that time could be reduced. If you're regularly maintaining the lawn and just trimming it, you might get 30-40mins. The idea with a lower voltage battery-powered mower is that you need to do more frequent mows for shorter periods. If your lawn gets a bit out of control, you'll likely need to run the dual batteries and expect a limited runtime. Do a bit in the morning and the rest in the afternoon once the batteries have recharged.

Mitchell

Wizardmaster
Just Starting Out

Yeah same me too... I am from New Zealand.   
Since I bought a Twin pack Ryobi Battery 18v (Model RB1869X) in 2022,  Now both battery been full charger and ran with tools, but STOP working,  I checked the Status show  4 flash LEDs means failure or error.   It was short life. 

However I bought first version of RYOBI 6Ah battery (Model: RB18L60A) in 2019.   It's still strong and long life as 4 years old working well without failure or error

But....WHY that Battery (RB1860X) is lack design or malfunction error than RB18L60A battery.  We should go back is better RB18L60A electronic board.  We can PUSH to TTI Indrustrail com'n  !20240219_000908.jpg

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wizardmaster. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans.

As per Mitchell's message above, we would encourage you to take the battery and proof of purchase into your local Bunnings store and speak with a team member from the Power Gardening section about your options.

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects