Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How high will my hedges grow?

Pcan
Growing in Experience

How high will my hedges grow?

I have this hedge which I am allowing to grow higher to give more privacy as the neighbor has built a double-story house.

How tall does this variety grow and how does one trim it at that height?   I can trim the sides and leave the top. 

20230228_102012.jpg20240209_114210.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hedge height

Hi @Pcan,

It's a bit hard to tell what the hedge is in your first image, but the one in the second may be Pittosporum silver sheen that can grow up to around 3.5 metres. It looks like it will come close to your desired height but likely won't screen the house off entirely. Also, a hedge at that height would be hard to trim and manage. I'd be tempted to trim those few sections that are shooting up to encourage the rest of the hedge to do the same. If left unchecked, you might just see only them continue to grow, which wouldn't be an aesthetically pleasing look. It is best to increase the height over a few years to get a consistent and full hedge look.

What are your plans with the hedge in the first image, and what height do you need it to grow to?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects