Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much concrete do I need for paving?

TimGeo
Having an Impact

How much concrete do I need for paving?

Hi, I'm planning to lay (800mm X 400mm X 20mm) bluestone pavers on top of a bed of cement mix, which will be on a compacted base, I would like to know the volume of materials so I can work out my budgets correctly.

As I haven't ever laid paving before how many pavers would I be able to lay beds for with 1 mix, consisting of 20kg bag of cement/sand/lime? And what would a suitable thickness of mix to lay on to?

At least knowing aproximately how much one mix would cover, I could scale that up for the entire project and working out my cost would be far easier!

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: laying paving: questions about quantities of cement etc

Hi @TimGeo,

Here's a handy calculator that you can use to work out your needed quantities. Typically you lay pavers on around a 40mm bed of cement. So, using the calculator, you'd require two 20kg bags per paver.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, thanks for the reply, I was curious about the mortar mix, is cement alone the best for laying pavers on? Or is a cement+sand mix better? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TimGeo,

Mortar is typically used to bed paving and block work, and is a mixture of sand, cement and lime. The reason why we use mortar over sand and cement is that the lime acts as a plasticiser and improves workability. Cement alone isn't the best choice for laying pavers on.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects