Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build Merabu garden edging?

mann
Getting Established

How to build Merabu garden edging?

Hi 

I want to make raised edging in the photo around my side hedges.

Can someone help me with the material I would need to make this?

Thanks 

Mann

Screenshot_20230425_160152_Pinterest.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build Merabu garden edging?

Hi @mann,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site later today and I'm sure will be keen to assist.

Let me also tag @Adam_W, the author of How to build a retaining wall and How to build a simple raised garden bed. I suspect the latter project might be a good place to start, and then you could clad it in Merbau like the top of this decorative raised garden bed

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build Merabu garden edging?

Hello @mann 

My apologies for the late reply. The steps used in this guide can definitely be used to build your Merbau Garden edging - How to build a decorative raised garden bed with seating by @Adam_W. But instead of making it very high, you need to modify your plan based on the Merbau Panel you'll be using. 

The reason that you need to build a sleeper frame underneath the Merbau panel is because it is not strong enough to hold the rocks and soil you'll be putting inside the frame. If you built this just by using the Merbau panel, it would start to bend out of shape because of the pressure being exerted by the soil and pebbles inside.

I suggest having a look at 200 x 50mm 2.4m Sleeper Treated Pine ACQ and using Zenith 14G x 100mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws to keep them together. You can use the same type of timber to make footings for the sleeper frame.

Once you've made your sleeper frame, all you need to do is to clad the outside with the Merbau Panel. I recommend using Buildex 10-8 x 50mm Climacoat Treated Pine And Hardwood Decking Screws - 100 Pack to fasten it to the face of the sleeper.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects