Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for fig leaves turning curly and yellow?

HaoNguyen
Finding My Feet

How to care for fig leaves turning curly and yellow?

20240128_194534.jpg

20240128_194528.jpg

20240128_194530.jpg

 i watered it daily using a small jet spray for 10 minutes,  2 times/day. Is it lack of water(because of spray) or insect? I cannot find any insects under leaves. Please help.thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to care for fig leaves turning curly and yellow?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HaoNguyen. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Fig care.

There's a good chance that the water regime is causing some issues. I'd rather see you do three deep waterings each week for at least 10 minutes each time with no jet spray. Check the soil 10cm deep in between watering to check the soil hasn't dried out completely. If it's dry you can water again. It's either you are applying too much water too regularly, and the roots are constantly wet, or your watering cycle isn't enough, and the roots aren't getting the water they need down deep.

What's the soil type in your area? Is there much clay content or a solid clay base?

If there haven't been any signs of insect activity, then I'd be leaning more towards a moisture issue.

Here's a helpful guide: How to plant, grow and prune a fig tree. You might also like to check out this article: How to diagnose a sick plant.

Let me also mention a couple of our knowledgeable gardening members @Noelle and @mich1972 to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @HaoNguyen 

My guess is that the roots are not getting enough water even though you are watering 10 minutes a day.  The surface may be moist but down where the roots are, it will be quite dry and that's why the leaves are yellowing. The appearance is absolutely typical of insufficient moisture.

@MitchellMc is correct - three deep waterings a week are required. Allow the hose to run slowly for quite a while (15-20 minutes) at three or four points in a circle about 30cm or so out from the main trunk so the water soaks in well.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed with both @MitchellMc and @Noelle  🌿😃

Thanks all for your help. I put more water as you said. The tree looks healthier. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @HaoNguyen.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects