Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to caulk up holes around the house to prevent pests?

ravio
Just Starting Out

How to caulk up holes around the house to prevent pests?

I have wall cracks and gaps between doors and windows.I am looking for help with how to fill the gaps to prevent the pest coming in side of my house.

Recently a redback spider infestation started around the house. Used some chemicals spray around the house but I still find them around the house.

So I was wondering if I sealed the area at least I can keep them outside for sure.

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to Caulk up any holes around the house to prevent pest control

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ravio. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about caulking gaps.

A tube of Selleys 480g White 3-in-1 Silicone Sealant and a caulking gun will go a long way towards sealing gaps, cracks and holes around your home. Here's a useful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant. I'd also recommend you take a look at this helpful discussion: How to winter-proof your home. Essentially you can ensure that you exclude drafts and creepy crawlies at the same time. These foam weather-sealing strips are perfect for pushing inside larger gaps.

Once you've sealed off most gaps inside your home, you might like to consider setting off some insect bombs to ensure any spiders within your home are destroyed. Also, it wouldn't hurt to go around the perimeter of your home and spray gaps and cracks or locations where spiders might make their home with PestXpert 2L Indoor / Outdoor Multi-Insect Contact And Residual Barrier Spray.

Ensure you wear appropriate PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, gloves, long-sleeved shirt and trousers, and enclosed footwear and follow all product packaging guidelines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects