Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a boat storage area in my garden?

HayleyG
Just Starting Out

How to create a boat storage area in my garden?

Hi all,

I have an unused part of my garden that I would like to use as a boat storage area.  There are some large tree roots poking up through the grass.  I do not want to add more concrete to my property so was thinking of some sort of open weave rubber mat backfilled with stones or bark?  Any ideas?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Trees roots and boats

Hello @HayleyG 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about using your garden as a boat storage area.

In order for us to assess the area effectively, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area where you plan to park the boat? Will the boat be on a boat trailer or will it be on a static stand? If you're parking a vehicle in the garden area, I generally recommend using Strol 0.5m² SurePave Plastic Pavers. SurePave permeable paving panels are your easy-to-lay solution to secure and reinforce gravel driveways and grassed areas. It's a versatile strong paver that creates a stable surface to support areas where pedestrian and vehicle traffic would usually cause problems.

If you have very large roots, I propose flattening them out with a grinder. This will make it easier to layout the SurePave and you'll get a nice flat surface to park your boat. 

Here's a handy video to show you how it's installed:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects