Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a garden bed against house?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

How to create a garden bed against house?

Hi, we are building a garden bed along the front of our house in front of the windows. What kind of plants should I put here? I have considered two options here; small shrubs (lavendar) or grasses (dianella or lomandra). I don't want the plants to grow in front of the windows so need to consider the height of plants. Also I am unsure if I should consider using weed matting when planting and white rocks for top layer. Or if I should just fill with soil and once the plants are in, add mulch. Any advice would be appreciated.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a garden bed against house?

Hi @Former Workshop member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

I'm a big fan of native gardens so I've compiled some options that would be good in their corresponding regions. 

Coastal Regions:

1. Pigface (Carpobrotus glaucescens) - Succulent groundcover with vibrant pink or purple flowers.
  2. Coastal Rosemary (Westringia fruticosa) - Hardy shrub with small, rosemary-like leaves and white to purple flowers.
  3. Coastal Banksia (Banksia integrifolia) - Low-growing shrub with distinctive cone-shaped flowers and attractive foliage.

Arid and Inland Regions:

1. Dwarf Bottlebrush (Callistemon 'Little John') - Compact shrub with red bottlebrush-like flowers, drought-tolerant.
  2. Blue Flax Lily (Dianella caerulea) - Grass-like plant with strappy leaves and blue-purple berries.
  3. Muntries (Kunzea pomifera) - Low-growing shrub with small, edible berries, great for groundcover and attracting wildlife.

Temperate Regions:

1. Kidney Weed (Dichondra repens) - Creeping groundcover with small, kidney-shaped leaves, ideal for lawns or between paving stones.
  2. Native Violet (Viola hederacea) - Spreading groundcover with delicate purple flowers and heart-shaped leaves.
  3. Fan Flower (Scaevola aemula) - Low-growing perennial with fan-shaped flowers in various colors.

Rainforest and Subtropical Regions:

1. Native Sarsaparilla (Hardenbergia violacea) - Twining vine or groundcover with purple pea-like flowers.
  2. Native Violet (Viola banksii) - Similar to Viola hederacea but with larger, showier flowers.
  3. Lomandra (Lomandra longifolia) - Tough, grass-like plant with strap-shaped leaves, ideal for edging or mass planting.

Alpine Regions:

1. Alpine Mint Bush (Prostanthera cuneata) - Low-growing shrub with aromatic foliage and white to pale purple flowers.
  2. Alpine Bellflower (Wahlenbergia spp.) - Small perennial with bell-shaped flowers, ideal for rockeries.
  3. Snow Daisy (Celmisia spp.) - Compact perennial with daisy-like flowers, suitable for alpine gardens.

Remember to consider factors such as soil type, sun exposure, and water availability when choosing plants for your garden. Additionally, always check that your chosen native plants are appropriate for your specific location and won't become invasive.

It's also important to consider that although mulch provides various advantages to the soil and plants, rocks present a more resilient and low-maintenance alternative. The decision between the two frequently hinges on personal preferences, the unique requirements of the garden, and the desired visual appeal.

You also might like to have a look through some of these helpful articles for some inspiration.  

How To Design a Garden

Matching Your Garden To Your House

How to choose plants for your garden

How To Design A Thriving Native Garden 

Allow me to tag some knowledgeable members to see if they can assist you in offering some advice in narrowing down your plant choices @Noelle, @mich1972, @ChloeThomson

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects