Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create an indoor vertical garden or living wall?

suraksha
Just Starting Out

How to create an indoor vertical garden or living wall?

IMG_0684.jpeg

Hello, i am planning to convert a blank wall of the house into a vertical garden. Thinking of having low light indoor plants like ferns, devils ivy etc. 

It will be visible from the entrance and a great place to have my indoor plants displayed as well. How do I go about it? 
I was thinking of screwing the garden mesh onto the wall and then hanging pots off it to fill the space. Would this cause moisture damage to the wall? 
I have included image of my inspiration. 

thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create an indoor vertical garden or living wall?

Hello @suraksha 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your hanging garden.

In order to give our members a better idea of the wall you'll be using, would it be possible for you to post a photo of where it is located. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

I suggest having a quick look at our Top 10 most popular vertical garden projects. If the plants are watered outside and allowed to dry off your wall should be safe. But if you wish to protect your wall from possible moisture damage, I suggest attaching Tunnelcore 2250 x 1220 x 2.5mm Black Double Wall PP Flute Board.

There are quite a few ways to build your vertical garden. You mentioned that you want to hang pots off a mesh. I propose having a look at these discussions - Terracotta pot vertical garden screening by @DIYology and Vertical herb garden on reinforcing mesh by @RodAndo.

The general steps would be to attach the flute board to the wall followed by your choice of mesh and then you can choose the type of hanging mechanism you want to use.

Here are some vertical garden projects our workshop members have shared:

Please remember to wear personal safety equipment such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If yo have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
suraksha
Just Starting Out

Great tips thank you! 
i have added the image of wall i am thinking about. (Excuse the mess) 

My idea was to have the upper and bottom and right side section done leaving the heating panel but have ivy’s cover it so can be accessed when needed. 

how do you normally attach the tunnel core? Liquid nails? 

IMG_0681.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @suraksha,

I will start by saying that you should take into consideration the proximity of the plant wall to an electrical source. Allow me to tag some of our resident electrical experts for their opinion: @CSParnell, @MikeTNZ.  

Please be aware that your heating controller would indicate that there are wires within the wall and therefore a live electrical source. If this is the only wall you could have the plant wall on, you should contact an electrician to have the heating controller moved.

Once this is handled, liquid nails will be suitable to stick the corflute on but if you are already drilling into the wall, you might like to add some Otter 8g x 32mm Matt Black Button Head Screws for added strength. A combination of glue and screws is always the best for holding power. You should purchase a stud finder to ensure you are hitting the timber as this is the best way to support any weight on a wall. If you are not confident doing this, you should contact a handyman for assistance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects