Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create backyard garden steps?

abhishekj26
Getting Established

How to create backyard garden steps?

Hi guys, I'm quite stuck with no idea to create 2 steps for my backyard garden. 

Apologies for the mess in the pics. In the attached photos, last is the place I want to create 2 steps and make the area flat/level it out and use the place for seating and probably a firepit place.

ATM, I have tried to create a basic version of the steps using the bricks, but the corner of it is concrete with some aggregate stones. 

So how do I create steps, can I use these bricks and lay concrete? or to use wood ? also, how do I cover the corner of the concrete as there is a space below the slab? Appreciate any suggestions and please no comments on the weed mess :smile:

IMG_5139.jpgIMG_5138.jpgIMG_5140.jpgIMG_5141.jpgIMG_5142.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create backyard garden steps?

Hi @abhishekj26,

It sounds like the first thing to do is clean up that excess concrete (aggregate) protruding from the edge of the slabs. You'll want relatively smooth faces to work with. I'd suggest picking yourself up a rotary hammer drill as they come with chisels and drills which can be used to remove the excess concrete.

Once you've cleaned up the slab, I suggest you use sleepers to retain the soil that is currently being eroded from under the slabs. It will be like a mini retaining wall around the edge of the concrete, which not only retains the soil but conceals the unsightly edge of the slab. I recommend using the Whites retain-It system for posts. 

You'll then be able to install your steps, and you can do so by creating them with bricks you've bedded in and cementing with mortar. Another option is to use these treated Pine steps, which will simplify the job. I've created a rendering below to help illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to create backyard garden steps?

This is a great idea, I will post the pic once the job is completed.

Thanks a lot

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects