Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the gap between Colorbond fence and concrete?

karmadra
Getting Established

How to fill the gap between Colorbond fence and concrete?

I am looking to fill this gap between the colorbond fence and concrete?  The problem is that the base of the fence is below the concrete.  So, if I use soil or pebbles to fill in the gap, then it will have to be straight against the fence which I am not sure is a good idea?  Any recommendations/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, another problem is that there is a gap at the bottom of the fence and the soil.  Not sure what I should use to fill in this gap as well.  Any recommendations/suggestions for this as well will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.Gap.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill the gap between colorbond fence and concrete?

Hello @karmadra 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the gap near your Colorbond fence.

You have a few options available to you. You can either level the soil and build formwork as close as you can to the fence and fill it with concrete or use pavers to complement the pebblecrete. The other method is to put in some H4 framing in the ground and covering the gap with sleepers. I've placed a sketch below, to give you an idea of what it might look like.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Re: Recommendations for gap along fence by @CookedBread.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
karmadra
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thanks a lot for your response. Your tips are very helpful.

Just another quick question. There are gaps at the bottom of the fence and the soil. What can I use to close the gaps? Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks.

FC5751BB-C1D1-484F-B45C-2018A4B0E799.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @karmadra 

One quick way to cover the gaps is by using H4 treated 90mmx45mm. The label H4 means that it is treated timber and can make contact with the soil. Simply place the timber across the gap standing up and anchoring them in place using 50mm Sleeper Peg Galvanised Steel

If you wish the timber to be level to the profile of the fence, it will be necessary to dig a small channel so that when you put the timber in it will sit flat and at level with the fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

karmadra
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you for your response and for your helpful tips.

I have been looking for H4 treated 90mmx45mm on Bunnings website but I am not able to find it.  Is it something we have to go to the store and ask?

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @karmadra 

My apologies about the timber size. I should have mentioned to use 150 x 25mm 4.8m Plinth H4 Treated Pine Sawn Wet. I recommend calling your local store first to make sure that they have this size in stock. If it's not available, it will need to be ordered from the trade desk as a special order.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

karmadra
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you for your response.  Really appreciate it.

Instead of H4 treated pine, is it okay to use H3 treated pine plinth (eg: sth like 150 x 25mm 2.4M Plinth H3 Treated Pine Sawn) instead, and then fill in 50mm pebbles between the concrete and the plinth?

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend sticking with the H4 timber @karmadra. H3 timber is for use above ground and will quickly decay if it is in moist subsurface conditions. Even having the pebbles up against it is likely enough to begin the decaying process.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc . Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have tried looking for 150 x 25mm H4 plinths in several Bunnings around my area, but they do not have them available. I have spoken with the staff at the trade desk to put in a special order for this but it is not available to be supplied.

Are there any other alternatives that you would recommend? Thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @karmadra 

Can you please tell me which stores are closest to your home? I'll get in contact with them and see if I can find you suitable H4 timber pieces you can use.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects