Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix hard ground soil?

Zac79
Just Starting Out

How to fix hard ground soil?

Hi all hope all is well. My question is I'm looking at putting native plants in my property which I visit every month. I would like to have it half grassed but looks like it's impossible ground is very very hard and it's got bad condensation at nigh and morning stay wet till mid morning to lunchtime what can I do to help this as when it rains water just doesn't drain down in areas rather just runs off photos of property ground any help will be great. 

1000169730.jpg

1000169729.jpg

1000169728.jpg

  

1000169725.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hard soil ground in property .

Hi @Zac79,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

I would suggest that a lot of the issues you are finding with water not absorbing and grass not growing are due to the heavy compaction of the soil. You could start by aerating the soil using a Cyclone 3 Prong Lawn Aerator or Lawn Corer depending on availability and feasibility in your area. This will loosen the soil and allow for air, water and nutrients to penetrate deeper into the soil promoting better soil health and microbial growth.

I would then suggest you apply a granulated wetting agent such as Amgrow 10kg Wettasoil Professional Granular Soil Wetter using a Scotts Hand Held Fertiliser Spreader. Wetting agents work by reducing the surface tension of water at a molecular level, allowing it to slip between soil much easier and penetrate deeper into the root zone of plants. In this application, it will help the standing water to penetrate the soil, helping to improve the drainage. In combination with the aeration, this will create a good foundation for plant growth.

After this you should look to increase the nutrient content of the soil using a slow-release lawn fertiliser such as Scotts Lawn Builder All Purpose Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser. This can be applied following the manufacturer's instructions for coverage using the before-mentioned fertiliser spreader.

Once the aerating is done and wetting agent and fertiliser are applied, you should apply a layer of topsoil at least 50mm thick. Regeneration of soil takes time, applying a layer of topsoil will allow turf to grow over the top while the soil beneath mends. There are options for bulk topsoil depending on your area, if this is something you'd like to explore, I'd suggest heading to your local Bunnings and making some enquiries with the helpful team at the Special Orders desk.

Once you are happy that the soil is ready, you might like to sow seeds or install pre-grown turf. Keep in mind that these will require regular watering in the early growth stage so some form of irrigation system might be worth considering.

Lawncare is a year-round thing with massive amounts of information, products and advisable actions to take throughout the year. You might like to check out A Seasonal Guide To Lawn Care as well as How to care for your lawn in: Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring for some information and guidance on what to do at what time of the year.

Let me know if you need some clarification or if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects