Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of neighbour’s vine smothering my plants?

jegan
Getting Established

How to get rid of neighbour’s vine smothering my plants?

Hi! Can anyone tell me how to get rid of neighbor’s vine. It is growing over my own plants. It’s rapidly growing and although I try to pull it out and Roundup no success.

IMG_8270.jpegIMG_8269.jpegIMG_8268.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Neighbour’s vine smothering my plants!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jegan. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing vines.

Would it be possible to discuss the issue with your neighbour and have the vine cut back on their side of the fence to prevent it from coming into your property? If that's not an option, then the continual pruning and application of Roundup would really be the only option. Ensure you apply the Roundup to the freshly cut ends so it's absorbed into the plant. Be advised, though, that if the plant does uptake the poison, then it will likely die entirely. That's why I've said it might be best to speak with the neighbour now on how you can work together to control the plant rather than have a conversation later on about why you've killed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @jegan

It looks like it's the understock of a Passionfruit vine. If it is it will need to taken off below the graft as it will only take over from the original plant and won't normally bear fruit. If you talk to your neighbour and explain this, they may cut it back or if they are incapable of doing so, offer your services to cut it back for them. You are entitled to cut it back from your side an throw the remnants back over the fence. 

🍻Cheers @bergs                           

Be happy and care for your tools
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to get rid of neighbour’s vine smothering my plants?

Good morning @jegan It looks like the understock of a Passionfruit which will be troublesome for you and also your neighbour. The more you cut it back, the more you encourage it to grow. Cut back what is on your side BUT I personally wouldn’t poison it without your neighbour knowing. Have a chat to them about it first. If they have no interest then maybe you will need to treat it. Good luck 🌿😊

jegan
Getting Established

Thanks. It’s definitely not a passion fruit. Appreciate your help

jegan
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell 👍

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @jegan

The understock is banana passionfruit and has a different leaf than the normal Nellie Kelly passionfruit. You need to cut it off below the graft on the main trunk. It will keep growing rampantly if not removed and kill the main plant and you will then still have a vine that is still invasive. Explain to your neighbour and together you may come up with a solution.

Good luck.

🍻 @bergs 

Be happy and care for your tools

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects