Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow a pot plant vegetable garden?

elizalochhead
Just Starting Out

How to grow a pot plant vegetable garden?

1C7A0EEC-B7CF-40F9-A380-3DA6F5491AB6.jpeg

C34BFAF8-9FBD-4D7B-84F4-0A8C06C42EE6.jpeg

What vegetables have you successfully planted in pots?? 

and 

What CHEAP/INEXPENSIVE  pot with a cover (a MUST for me- due to snails and neighbourhood pets) did you purchase??

Now have images uploaded to where the pots will be.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Pot Plant Vegetable garden

Hi @elizalochhead,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop.

What sort of vegetables are you looking to grow in pots?

I take it you are living in a restricted sort of living arrangement, but want fresh veges?

Do you have an outdoor area where you could possibly put something like them in something like this?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/montgomery-50l-black-storage-container_p0219784 

Reason I say outdoors is, because if you are growing things like potatoes or things like that you will need to drill holes on the bottoms

of the containers to allow the water to drain away after having been watered, giving vegetables "wet feet" causes them to rot in the soil.

Lettuces and things like that won't be the same as they are not below the soil.

By all means, let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Mike T.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

E92E06CA-2C14-4E8E-9A81-2DFA6DA9E216.jpeg

Hi @elizalochhead Welcome to the Workshop Community 😁 I am happy to see you are interested in growing some edibles at home !!!  @MikeTNZ has asked all the questions and I agree with him, he gives great advice. I have a few 500mm Black Plastic Planter Pots. At the moment they have growing in them a few tomatoes, Mini Capsicums and Sweet Basil. I planted them all in a Premium Potting Mix as that’s important to get the best growing results. I also added extra Wetting Agent Granules to the soil as potted plants dry out very quickly in the Summer months. I water in the morning and then again in the afternoon as it’s hot here in Perth and quite windy at the moment. I also liquid feed them regularly as the nutrients need to be topped up regularly in pots. Also adding a slow release fertiliser will help. 
Hope this helps you get started and would love to see how you are going with it. There is nothing better than growing your own Edibles !! Just start with a couple of pots to get the hang of it. Good luck 🤞 

24E676A6-66CE-448A-AAB5-0A2F816FCF70.jpeg

70DC05AA-DB4E-4D2B-B903-0399123E2D13.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to grow a pot plant vegetable garden?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @elizalochhead. We're thrilled to have you join us and share in your gardening adventures. 

Great to see you receive a warm welcome and helpful advice from other members already. As you can see, we have many helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

In addition to letting us know what vegetables you are interested in growing and how much space you have, it might also be helpful to know where you are based. 

We look forward to assisting further and seeing your home-grown vegetables flourish. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to grow a pot plant vegetable garden?

Hello @elizalochhead

I'm curious, why are you after a pot with a cover? If you are trying to protect your plants from insects, I suggest having a look at the various plant net protectors the store carries. However, if you have more curious guests that come at night such as possums, I recommend thinking about building a plant cover with PVC pipes in combination with the net. The same applies to insect infestation and pets. There are other ways to protect your plants, if you can tell us more about your situation we'll be able to offer more recommendations.    

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ mich1972,

I really like that look.

It's almost like a half-robot thing going on there!

What are you growing in them pots?

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MikeTNZ

Let me tag @mich1972 to make sure they see your kind words and question. They look like cherry tomatoes.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank You @MikeTNZ 😊 @EricL 

One  pot has Mini Mama Capsicum and Sweet Basil, the other three pots have Grosse Lisse Tomato, Roma Tomato and Sweet Basil. 
Tomatoes and Basil are best friends, great Companion Planting. Also I love to grow heaps of Basil for the foraging Bees as it provides plenty of Nectar for our hard workers !!! It’s a great pollinator attractor 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects