Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lower the height of a Hills clothesline?

Richard44
Getting Established

How to lower the height of a Hills clothesline?

Hi,

Last week we bought a Hills 45m Pale Eucalypt Medium Rotary Clothesline at Bunnings Joondalup, it has been installed to specifications. My wife, still find it a bit to high to hang the clothes and ensuring it is fully wound down. Any advice how to readjust the hight without damaging the clothesline please.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lower the height of a Hills clothesline?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Richard44. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting the height on a Hills clothesline.

Did you happen to insert any of the elevating spacers in the ground socket? If so, they must be removed, as they'll restrict how low you can set the line.

Please let me know if those spacers were installed, and then we can look further into how this issue can be solved.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

No spacers were inserted.

Richard

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for that, @Richard44.

Please allow me some time to investigate this for you, as I'd like to determine if your line is set to the lowest point possible. I am currently waiting on specifications from the supplier. At the lowest adjustable height, I would hope that the product is usable for the vast majority of users. 

In the meantime, if you were able to measure from the lines to the ground and possibly provide an image of the clothesline (including the base), that would assist in my troubleshooting. Let me know if you need assistance uploading an image.

I appreciate your patience.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The verticly challanged do find it hard to reach.

When the bottom pipe rusted out on mine I cut it down to good metal and epoxied a wood insert in to keep it together after 20 years it wasn't removable anymore.

Now need to have it raised when not in use so I don't hit my head on it and it isn't good for hanging sheets when wound down fully.

Hi again @Richard44,

Can I confirm that the latch assembly sits 1800mm above the ground? If so, this would indicate that the clothesline is set at the lowest level. From there, the outer lines should be no more than 100mm higher than that point. I understand the outer 1900mm line height could still be a bit high for some users. My smaller-statured wife would likely need to stretch a bit for that height. However, if the product is unusable for your wife, I'll gladly contact the store of purchase to discuss options.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

From the ground to the top half of the latch assembly 1750m, the outer line is at 1830m, with fully wound down.

I did adjust to the wife regarding stretching, I will not give the answer, never the less if nothing can be done with any normal adjustments, I will find another way to sort this. Thanks for your help it is appreciated.

Kind regards

Richard

L1.jpgL2.jpg

Thanks for confirming, @Richard44.

In order to lower the lines, as mentioned by @Brad, you could remove a short piece of the pole from the bottom of the clothesline. Obviously, this is not a great solution as the winder mechanism also gets closer to the ground. However, it could give you 5-10cm and make the line usable for your wife. If you do attempt to remove a section of the pole with a hacksaw, please remember your PPE, including safety glasses and gloves. 

Another alternative would be using a step stool. It would be my preference to build a low and wide step that has no chance of toppling over. I've created a rendering below to illustrate. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

L3.pngB1.png

Thanks, Mitchell, for your advice, at this stage no questions.

Kind regards

Richard44

RSS
Cultivating a Following

@Richard44 

You may need to drill a new hole and relocate the pin higher, equal to the amount you cut off the bottom.  Drill the new hole the same or slightly smaller as the pin and then use a hammer to knock in.  Everything will still work if the pin is loose in the hole, you just run the risk of loosing it if you remove the clothesline.  I would strongly recommend painting the newly drilled hole to try and prevent rusting.

I had the same issue as you.  :smile:  Now I just have to watch out for the low head clearance when at its lowest level.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects