Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plan a new vegetable garden?

DanM
Finding My Feet

How to plan a new vegetable garden?

Any suggestions on how to plan an all-round family vegetable garden?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Planning a vegetable garden

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DanM. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about planning a vegetable garden.

The first step in planning your vegetable garden is determining the size, shape and location of the garden. If you can give our members an idea of the space you have to work with, that will allow them to provide suggestions on how to maximise its use.

Were you looking to grow in the ground or in elevated beds? Birdies raised garden beds are an excellent choice, especially if your garden has poor soil. Their height also allows excellent access to crops. The various sizes and shapes offer many different configurations to make the best use of space. You might want to build your own raised garden, and you'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a raised garden bed. Also, check out our Top 10 most popular raised garden beds for inspiration. If you're working in a limited space, consider adding support structures for climbing plants, or you can follow this step-by-step guide on How to build a vertical garden.

When it comes time to fill your beds, this guide will be helpful: How to fill a raised garden bed

You'll need to plan the layout of your plants and decide on potential access points and the types of vegetables you'll be growing. Depending on what your family enjoys eating, certain layouts of crops will enable you to fit as much as possible within the space. Consider companion planting to maximise space and encourage growth. Also, choose plants that are suitable for your climate and growing conditions. When maximising crops for a whole family, it's important to make a schedule for planting, watering, and harvesting. It would also be a good idea to decide early on whether you'll create an organic garden.

I'll be keenly awaiting more details on the space you have to work with and will be delighted to assist in planning out the area to get the most effective layout.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to plan a new vegetable garden?

Great to see you are keen to start a new vegetable garden @DanM. You'll find there are loads of passionate members of the Workshop community who will be happy to help and inspire you along the way, including @mich1972@bergs@Noelle and many more. I've tagged them so they can share some early tips for getting started. 

Welcome,

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Welcome @DanM to the Community Workshop. First of all I’m super excited you are looking for help and advice about starting your own Edibles Garden for yourself and your family. There are heaps of people here who love their Gardens and will happily advise you when they get the time to do so. 
Jason and Mitchell have asked for more information which will be helpful for us to help you mate. 

I LOVE growing Edibles in our garden. We are in Perth , so our soil is dreadful, hydrophobic grey sands. So for us it all starts with the soil, preparing it before planting, adding lots of organic matter to build it up and help put life back into the sand. Also applying wetting agent and mulching. 

Raised Garden Beds are absolutely awesome and it’s amazing how much you can grow in them depending on the size. 

Even large Container growing works. 

It’s a matter of how much sun / shade you get in the areas you want to grow. How much space you want to allocate  to Edibles. 
How much time you want to put into it. 

I look forward to hearing from you with what you would feel comfortable to do 😃😃

Re: Planning a vegetable garden

Hi Mitchell and thanks for the speedy response,

I’ve attached the early design page that is used and some photos at various stages of the project, hope it helps. For clarification

• I have a raised bed in place with decent soil in place
  • I  have installed a drip/sprinkler system to water the are
  • Available area is 900 x 600mm
  • East facing location, partly shaded by a wooden trellis fence (on the Gold Coast)
  • I have tried tomatoes (in triangular support frames), capsicums, Green beans , different types of lettuce
  • Rosemary, Parsley, thyme & Mint

Basically I feel I’m flying in the dark, but two of the challenges I have are:

1. What to plant when and how much – to avoid the waste that has been my experience to date – it’s either ‘feast of famine’
  2. How to ‘structure’ my planting for easy access.

Hoping that this helps

Regards

Dan

IMG_3928.jpgIMG_3990.jpgIMG_4006.jpgIMG_4064.jpgIMG_4131.jpgGarage Shelf design.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like you have all the basics down, @DanM. So it might just be a case of planning out your crops for the year and thinking a little ahead.

I've added the Yates vegetable seed planting guide below. It will give you a good idea of what you should have in the ground and what you'll need to be thinking of next. It's a general guide, but for more specific details on the timing of crops in your area, it would be best to check the pack of the seed packets, which will give you specific timing for your locations. 

I tend to plant enough to provide more than what I need. I've never really had much trouble giving away any excess to my family or friends. Alternatively, I'm sure if you stick the extra produce out the front of your property with a little "free vegetables" sign, your neighbours would appreciate the gesture. That way, any excess crops you produce don't go to waste.

Layout-wise, you want to structure your bed for easy access and maximum efficiency. Grow climbers onto the lattice, keep larger plants like tomatoes and capsicums to the back perimeter and plant lower crops like lettuces in front and under them. Herbs can be planted at the front of the bed for easy access when cooking.

Here's a guide on How to grow vegetables that you'll find useful.

Looking at the crop you have, it appears that you're doing really well. It will take some time and a number of years before you really get the hang of what you'd like to plant, when you plant it and the quantity required for your family. Have some fun and try new things, as there's nothing wrong with mixing things up a little.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects