Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent radish leaves being eaten by bugs?

balaji27
Having an Impact

How to prevent radish leaves being eaten by bugs?

Hi,

Can someone please advise how to prevent the radish leaves from being eaten by bugs? Will this affect the growth of the radish underneath? Please refer to the pic.

Thanks

Balaji.
Radish plant - leaves eaten upRadish plant - leaves eaten up

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent radish leaves

Hello @balaji27 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about insects eating your radish leaves.

It is definitely a leaf eating insect and it appears that they've done a fair amount of damage. It is difficult to tell how it will affect radish underneath. But the damage might affect its future growth. I propose using Yates 1L Ready to Use Baythroid Advanced Garden Pest Insect Killer to manage the infestation in your garden. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a P2 rated mask when using this spray. Please make sure to follow all the recommended safety precautions printed on the back of the product.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, 

Thanks for your prompt response and guidance, much appreciated. I am an enthusiastic new home gardener. It's heartbreaking to see my plant is eaten away by insects.

I will use the insecticide you recommended.

Thanks a lot again

Balaji.

Hello Eric,

As per your advice, I used Yates Ready to Use Baythroid Pest Killer and could see a lot of improvement. Please refer to the pic and I see my plant has revived, isn't it? Hope the radish growth underneath would also be good and I should get the desired outcome. Please let me know if any other step I need to take.

Thanks a lot for your prompt guidance.

Regards

Balaji.20231205_105852.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @balaji27

Thank you for posting that update. What a big improvement on the condition of the leaves. My only other recommendation is to remove any dead or dying leaves in the area and make sure that the bottom of the plant is clean and clear of debris. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric, Sure I will clear off the bottom of the plants.

Regards

Balaji.

Hi @EricL,

I would like to share my first harvest from my Radish plant (which I lost hope due to bugs attack but got it revived with your advice) and thanks a lot for your help. Happy to share this pic.

Thanks

Balaji.

My 1st radish harvestMy 1st radish harvest

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wonderful work @balaji27! You've certainly overcome those challenges and received a bountiful crop as your reward.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects