Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove weeds and grass from garden bed?

chay9352
Getting Established

How to remove weeds and grass from garden bed?

Hi.

 Hoping someone could please advise how I can remove this weed/grass from the garden bed? Spray/tools? It has gone crazy and weaved itself all over the garden bed. We are removing all the plants and starting from scratch but for the meantime I need to control this crazy mess.  

917BD053-D2E4-4B20-A853-06D487B89CDE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: remove weed/grass from garden bed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chay9352. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing grass from a garden bed.

It looks like you've already tried using the mattock, fork and weeding by hand. If that's giving you difficulties, you might try herbicides or covering the grass with black builders plastic. The plastic method will take longer (several weeks), but it is an effective option if you're not a fan of herbicides.

If you had other areas like this or would like to also cultivate that soil for future plantings, it could be worth investing in a Ryobi 36V Cordless Cultivator RCV36 - Tool Only. It will do an excellent job of removing the grass and turning over the soil.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @chay9352  To be honest it’s pretty much taken over so it would be best to dig it out. @MitchellMc  has given you options as well. Depends on what you want to do. 
I am excited to see the final results and see a brand new garden being planted out ! What are you looking at growing there ? Good luck with it 😀🌿🌿

chay9352
Getting Established

4B1732F2-C84E-4168-B366-CA8C69328E68.jpeg

A23B377D-FC8F-418D-B6F3-3F578608C546.jpeg

  

Thanks Mitch. We took the advice given. Finally started to plant some Olive Trees. Still working on it but so glad to not see the grass/weeds. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking great, @chay9352!

Many thanks for sharing your update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove weeds and grass from garden bed?

Good morning @chay9352 Thank you so much for sharing an update I was looking forward to seeing what you were going to do. Absolutely love it and what a difference it makes !! Also the Olives , sensational 😃😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects