Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair buffalo grass lawn?

naty2213
Just Starting Out

How to repair buffalo grass lawn?

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

  

Hi guys, 

we have just moved to WA and we have put buffalo grass in our backyard. It was in January, really hot days (we have no experience gardening and only later on we realized "what a mistake doing it in January!"). Well, the grass didn't do so well... lots died quite quickly... for a couple of months now I've been trying to "revive" the grass using soil fertilizers and lawn kill weeds  (every 3-4 weeks I apply). I have also been aerating the soil every 2-3 weeks. 

Some parts of the grass have improved considerably but others didn't. 

My question here is, is this the way to go or should I get rid of it and start again?? 

im attaching a photo of how the grass looks like now so you can see "the size of the damage". 

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you guys!! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair buffalo grass lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @naty2213. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing lawn.

The grass that remains is relatively healthy and doesn't need fertiliser. Also, a fertiliser will not help the dead patches re-grow. Any fertiliser applied as regularly as every 3-4 weeks is likely doing more harm than good. Let's stop the fertiliser, and you could switch to a tonic like Seasol instead. Tonics help sick plants regenerate. Whilst you are switching off fertilisers, let's halt the use of weed killers unless it's entirely necessary. 

Now, for your question on what to do, you need to be aware that Buffalo will not simply re-sprout in those dead sections. It spreads out via runners and fills in areas. If those areas are conducive to growth, the dead spots will fill in over several months, given favourable conditions. However, this will be a long process and will take some work. It would likely be more than a year before the lawn is back in a good-looking condition. I'll let you decide whether to replace it rather than wait that long. If the budget allows, you might wish to consider replacement in early spring when temperatures are better suited for establishing turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I had in mind to buy some new patches around  September to replace the dead ones. 

I'll follow your instructions and will buy the tonic you recommended and will stop with everything else. How often should I apply the tonic? Last question, aerating the soil helps it as well?? 

Thank you again! Your expertise is very much appreciated! 

Have a good one! 
Best regards, 

Nathalia 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The tonic can be applied every few weeks or as needed, Nathalia (@naty2213). Unlike chemical fertilisers, it won't burn the grass at all.

Aerating certainly helps, especially if there is a compaction or drainage issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects