Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair hose reel that won't lock?

boom85
Just Starting Out

How to repair hose reel that won't lock?

I am having some trouble with my hose reels it happens with both brands, I cannot lock the hose, i have tried being very gentle and a sudden stop nothing works, i have had one reel about 18 months and the other 25 months, is there anyway that I can repair them. From what I can see there is no way that I can get into the reel. Thanking you boom85 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair hose reel that won't lock?

Hi @boom85,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Could you please tell us what brand and model your hose reel is? A photo might also suffice. That will assist our resident Bunnings expert @EricL help suggest next steps. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hose reel

Hello @boom85

It would definitely help us if you could post a picture and tell us the model number of the hose reel you have. The hose reel screws are cleverly hidden inside a plastic cover that clips to the housing of the hose reel. The reason for this is that disassembling the hose reel is quite involved and if you are not familiar with the inner workings of the hose reel it can be quite hazardous. 

I also suggest checking your docket and seeing if your hose reels are still under warranty. Most of the major manufacturers offer a two-year warranty. If that's the case you might be able to claim a replacement for your hose reel. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

Trinxs
Just Starting Out

Eric

My Nylex retractable hose reel will not lock.  We have lost the receipt so we do not have proof of purchase though I am sure it was post Covid.

Can you suggest any way to repair this?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Trinxs 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your hose reel.

I'm sorry to hear that your hose reel is malfunctioning. If you feel that your hose reel unit is still under warranty, I suggest trying to track down the date of purchase through your bank statements. If you find it, it will also tell which card you used. 

Armed with this information, I suggest going back to the store where you purchased the hose reel from and asking the customer service team to track down your docket. You can then use your copy to apply for your warranty.  

I don't recommend taking the hose reel apart as it has a high-tension spring inside which is very dangerous and can cause severe injury. At this point in time, all I can suggest is to unroll the hose unit to full and see if you can get the locking mechanism to engage. If it still refuses to lock into place, I'm afraid your only choice is to replace it.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects