Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace drainage PVC pipe?

asava17
Growing in Experience

How to replace drainage PVC pipe?

20240318_115929.jpgHi everyone, we've been having heavy rain up here in QLD. I've got a couple of issues...this storm waters\ pipe that is connected to "pvc elbow part" is cracked... is it possible that if i could replace this myself or should i call a professional?

Water unfortunately has crept its way through the concrete slab and has got into my room ( my room low key got a huge puddle of water, im stressing out!!!).

My room was  add on to this property. If you notice there is black strip of black silicon filler that was put in, which i assume is stop water the leaking into my room. I'm assuming they didn't do concrete job properly when adding on this room.

Anyways should i get another drainage system put in place like a French drain?

I'm just overwhelmed by the whole situation, if there any advice to stop this water pooling that would be great.

Any advice appreciatedWater pooling and sitting on lawnWater pooling and sitting on lawn

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace drainage PVC pipe?

Hello @asava17 

It is possible for you to replace the PVC elbow yourself, however, the flooding near your walkway and the water entering your room is a bit cause for concern. 

Generally speaking, you would need the following parts to repair your downpipe elbow:   

You'll need to remove your old PVC elbow by using a flat head screwdriver and separating the elbow from the pipe work. The edge of the PVC pipe must be sanded down to remove all of the old adhesive. Don't sand too much off or the elbow will be loose and you'll get a leak. 

The coupling is there just in case you need to extend the connection between the elbow, it can be cut in half just in case it is too big. Apply the adhesive generously to make sure that there will be no leaks.

To redirect the flood occurring near your concrete walkway, I suggest installing a sock slotted agi-pipe to redirect the water out of the area. However, if you believe that this too involved for you, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber.  

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Drainage to fix a muddy lawn by @Ben.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
asava17
Growing in Experience

Re: How to replace drainage PVC pipe?

Thank you mate, I'll try call a plumber but I'll give this a crack. I've only moved to this house recently. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects