Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive my buffalo turf?

Daydreamer11
Getting Established

How to revive my buffalo turf?

29290662-ED09-45BD-BDC9-EBD654BCB73D.jpeg

E1B249AE-C2A6-424B-A206-15236413BD6D.jpeg

5F366AE5-63EB-479C-AE58-5DC054B5122F.jpeg

2F574079-2D15-47EA-922D-DF426F0D3016.jpeg

   

Hi Team, 

I have put sir Walter Buffalo turf 2 months back and It has started to show some patches in some areas and does not look as healthy and dense as it should be. Not sure if its normal and if I have to wait little bit longer ?

I have put some fertilisers as advised after 8 weeks from installing it.

I have attached some photos and wondering if any of you experts could guide me if I have to treat it and with what product to bring back that dense look of sir Walter buffalo turf.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to revive my buffalo turf

Hello @Daydreamer11

Thanks for sharing your question about your buffalo turf. There might be a few reasons why your turf is starting to show some patches, but I suspect that the number one culprit is the weather. At the moment we are still in the midst of summer and if you are experiencing intense heat your turf might be trying to hibernate. Overcompensating for this event is not good either as overwatering traps the water in the soil and thereby suffocates the roots of the lawn.

I suggest staying with your current watering schedule and allowing the turf to overgrow. On your next mowing schedule, I propose trimming only the top to get a uniform finish. If your mower has a mulching function I suggest activating it. Keep the turf to a nice healthy 75mm in height so that the turf has enough surface to cover the ground. The cuttings that drop in the turf itself act like mulch and delays evaporation and keeps the ground cool. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. My Ryobi lawn mower does not have a mulcher and I’m happy for you to guide me if I can buy an attachment for it. ? 

Happy to get some feedback from other experienced team members too as you have mentioned above. 

Thanks PK

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Daydreamer11

What is the model number of your Ryobi mower? I can find out for you if it has a mulching function.

Eric

Hi Eric, 

Model is :

Ryobi One+ 18V Brushless Cordless Scarifier

Thanks. 

Hi @Daydreamer11,

Do you have a lawnmower as well as the scarifier? A scarifier is a fairly specific tool used to detach an older lawn and remove the buildup of dead material. It's typically not used to mow a lawn and keep height in check. However, in saying that, if that's what you are using, it appears to be doing a decent job. Dethatching is generally fairly stressful on a lawn. It's fine to do it every few years, but it might damage the grass if done regularly. If you continue to use it, I'd suggest raising the height as your grass is very low to the ground at the moment, and I suspect that's why it looks patchy. 

I'd recommend you consider picking up a cordless mower as using one will be more effective at mowing the lawn and less damaging as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitch.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects