Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save Silver Princess dropping leaves?

gecko
Just Starting Out

How to save Silver Princess dropping leaves?

Hi there,

I have a 3 yr old Silver Princess feature tree.  About a year ago, it started getting blotches on a few of the lower leaves, which subsequently dropped off.  The problem remains ongoing, and has escalated in the last few months.  It is now affecting the higher leaves, too; and so many leaves are dropping, the tree now has bare branches.  I fear I've maybe left it too long to seek assistance, and the tree may die now, as a result.  Are you able to tell me what might be wrong, and what I can do about it?  I'd really love the tree to live.  The leaves start with blotches, turn a purply brown colour, then drop off.  It was planted as a tiny sapling by the previous home owner.  I'm on clay here.  In Melbourne.  Thanks for any assistance.

1000002636.jpg

1000002635.jpg

1000002638.jpg

1000002639.jpg

1000002634.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save Silver Princess dropping leaves?

Hello @gecko 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your silver princess dropping leaves.

It appears to be a bacterial brown spot, a form of fungus that latches onto the leaves and awaits favourable circumstances for spreading. Typically, these conditions arise when there is excessive humidity and insufficient sunlight. Upon examining your plant, it seems to be heavily infected, and the stems are getting affected as well. To address the issue, I recommend trimming the heavily infected leaves and applying Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. Please be aware that this product is concentrated and needs to be diluted before application.

I also recommend removing the leaves that have fallen on the ground and those surrounding the plant base. Please don't add these infected leaves to your compost, but instead throw them straight into the bin.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Silver Princess Eucalyptus marks on leaves by @PN.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the fungicide. Be sure to follow the recommended safety handling procedures of the product as indicated on the back label.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gecko
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your assistance. 

I had been wondering whether it was oedema, given I'm on clay here. 

Would I spray the whole tree?  Ie. the healthy leaves, as well as the less infected leaves that I don't cut off, and also the healthy and infected stems and branches? 

Also, do you think there's still a chance for the tree recover, with correct treatment?

Thanks again for your assistance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gecko 

Please make sure to spray the entire plant including under the leaves. 

Oedema is also a possible culprit, but the pattern of blotches on your leaves are very specific. The destructive pattern for Oedema is more like tiny bumps on the leaves, they turn brown as the capillary of the leaves burst due to too much water.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gecko
Just Starting Out

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects