Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save a suddenly sick hardenbergia?

Becfav
Getting Established

How to save a suddenly sick hardenbergia?

Hi all!

looking for some advice on my suddenly sick Hardenbergia. I have two growing - one from an open bottomed planter and another directly from the ground. The former was thriving until about two days ago but today I noticed that it has developed droopy leaves which are becoming scrunchy like paper, anthe new growth seems to be hardening up and browning at the tips; while the other (direct in the ground) is still looking great. I don’t believe the fact the sickly one is in a planter has to do with its sudden change but I am wondering if anyone else can offer some advice? It has been raining a lot of late. Could it be over watered? Is there a way I can save it? I am gutted and don’t know if I just need to pull it out and start again :unhappy:

I have attached a photo of the sickly leaves and a photo where you can see the sickly growth (in the planter) next to  the healthier growth (in the ground).

thank you so much for your help! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save a suddenly sick hardenbergia?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Becfav. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about plant health.

If it were in a closed bottom planter, I would say it's highly likely that the plant is suffering from an insufficiently draining container. Given its open bottom, that might not be the case. Still, can you check the soils of each plant 10cm below the surface and tell us which is wetter? Wait a day or two after rain if you can.

Are the two plants located side-by-side, or do they experience different conditions? Does the plant in the ground also have the ground cover planted around it?

Here's a helpful guide: How to diagnose a sick plant.

I suspect that if your plant has been flourishing and only had a recent downturn that aligned with some exceptionally rainy weather, then the issue could be moisture-related. Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @mich1972 and @Noelle, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Becfav
Getting Established

IMG_1621.jpeg

Hi Mitchell! 

thank you so much for your timely help!

yes both plants experience the same conditions and have been exposed to the same amount of rainfall. 

According to my soil moisture meter, both are in the “moist” zone but apparently the Hardenbergia planted directly in the ground has even wetter soil than the sickly one in the planter… 

At the present moment, there are no aphids, caterpillars or other bugs present, except an occasional praying mantis. I have pretty much checked every leaf! I did have some weird little caterpillars a few weeks ago and after removing them all, I sprayed it with some pest oil as a preventative measure. Aside from the caterpillars a few weeks ago it has been looking very healthy until two/three days ago following the huge rainfall. 

Do you think it’s worth trying some anti-fungal as a last resort? Or I’d love to hear other suggestions!

When would you recommend pulling it out altogether? 

again, thanks so much for your help! I’m very grateful! 

rebecca 

IMG_1622.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Becfav 

Looking at the photos you posted it does not appear that your plants have any signs of fungal infection. There is no powdery residue, there are no rust spots or leaf deformations, and the leaves appear to be intact as there is no evidence of insect infestation. The only thing that comes t mind is that something has happened to the roots as the effect is plantwide.

At this point, I don't think spraying the plant with antifungal will have any effect. I suggest going with MitchellMc's recommendation and digging into the soil and looking at the roots and see if it has been overly soaked or infected.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @Becfav I’m thinking it may be possible it’s either poor drainage, but looking at the Bacopa plants at the base they are thriving. Have you fertilised at all in the planter or around the base ? It could possibly be a fertiliser burn. I will wait to see what Noelle thinks. Mitchell and Eric have given great advice 😃🌿

Becfav
Getting Established

Hi everyone! Thanks again for all your help. Unlikely to be fertiliser burn as I haven’t applied seasol for a few weeks and none of the other plants suffered the same fate…

An update: I couldn’t find any reason for it to die, which it sadly did do; shriveling to a crisp in just three days. I decided to pull it out and examine the roots. To my untrained eye, I couldn’t tell if it seemed sickly, but the roots were not mushy or smelly and I did not notice anything untoward….  I have attached photos of the roots here if anyone can suggest anything further? I am

hoping my in ground Hardenbergia will not experience the same!

thanks again :smile:

IMG_1689.jpeg

IMG_1688.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Becfav 

Thank you very much for sharing those photos of your plant roots. You've pretty much ticked all the boxes, they were not mushy or soft, there was no smell of rot which is often an indicator that the roots have been soaked in water. They are not covered in a black root mass which is also a sign of root rot.

It is difficult to guess what killed your plant, chemical, environmental or natural causes, your guess is as good as mine.

In the meantime, I suggest covering the area where your plant was with black plastic. Leave it covered for several weeks to sterilize the soil.  Once enough time has passed you can then prepare the soil once more for planting.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Becfav
Getting Established

Thanks so much, Eric. I really appreciate your help (and all the precious team’s help too).

The odd thing is that the other plants in that exact planter are still doing well! I might give them a few more weeks and then pull them too if they start dying before placing the plastic. Regardless I think I’ll plant the hardenbergia directly in the ground from now on too!

thanks again for all your help :smile:

bec

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects