Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save sick or dying biloxi blueberry?

erikc
Growing in Experience

How to save sick or dying biloxi blueberry?

Bought 2 Biloxi 2 to 3 months ago, one was healthy the other refused to grow upwards if at all could this be rootrot or over/underwatering? Can it even be saved? Was repotted with acid (azalea) potting mix as garden is clay. Always looked sickly. The other is a bit burnt but seems fine. The sick one gets only 9am to 2pm sun, the healthy

IMG20240331122059.jpg

IMG20240331122106.jpg

one 10 to 4 or 5.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sick or dying biloxi blueberry

Hi @erikc,

You might like to read through these helpful guides: How to diagnose a sick plant and How to grow blueberries.

It could have to do with your watering regime or drainage in the pot. Do you water when the soil begins to dry out? It's important that the soil isn't wet all the time and has a period to dry out before the next watering.

Is the second image a Biloxi blueberry as well, as the foliage doesn't resemble one? 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
erikc
Growing in Experience

Thanks yes both were sold as Biloxi from my local bunnings

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @erikc,

Perhaps the plant in your second image is just a variety of Biloxi that I'm not familiar with, but I'm sure you can see how drastically different it is from the first image, which appears as a Biloxi should do. 

Let me tag @Noelle to see if she can shed some light on the situation.

Mitchell

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to save sick or dying biloxi blueberry?

Hi @erikc 

Your second image does not resemble any blueberry variety of any type that I am familiar with!  Its foliage and habit are distinctly un-blueberry-like. It is possible the label has been inadvertently swapped with something else. I'd be inclined to take it back to the place of purchase and ask the horticulturist team member for an identification. Will be interested to hear the explanation!

erikc
Growing in Experience

I absolutely agree it doesn't -especially now- (I have a powderblue as well) and if that isn't a blueberry the acid potting mix is probably what is giving it all sorts of  problems.

But I no longer have the receipt--so despite the expense I don't think Bunnings would look at it? I probably still have the label in the pot but I guess that proves nothing. It never grew upwards so that should have been another clue.

I def checked when I bought it that the label said biloxi as I needed 2 of them (bought the powder blue one later).

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @erikc 

I think it would still be worth taking the plant back in with the label and having a chat. As @Noelle mentioned, the plant does not resemble a blueberry at all, so I trust the team would be keen to investigate why this mix-up has occurred. 

Mitchell

erikc
Growing in Experience

Ok will do.

Update, someone there said it must be an invasive weed that took over.

It was in the pot though when I bought it, no longer have receipt, threw out the weed and planted in a pot a sunshine blue.

Which might match my last (real) biloxi but not the powder blue I have. Oh well. One doesn't have many options at the moment.

Bunnings also had a blueberry new to me Blue Pearl but I could not find any info on it or co-pollinators.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects