Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save the orange tree?

John57
Building a Reputation

How to save the orange tree?

Is this water log or wrong fertilizer or something else? Help me to save my orange tree and lemon too as they lose their leaves and vitality.

C7A11A4A-FAD0-4124-8DAB-EE4EEC0CCCA7.jpeg

79498D0C-2906-4456-BDAF-2644FE8D6749.jpeg

3545C718-ACB7-4D66-BDC5-C6D7D1C05CC4.jpeg

E20C4EB2-7152-41A8-B124-E30191F73DBC.jpeg

8EBD0CBD-680A-45A4-8CFF-D6F1B09B77D0.jpeg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to save the orange tree?

Hi @John57,

Many thanks for your message.

Let me tag a couple of very helpful community members in @Noelle and @BradN to see if they might be able to identify why your citrus trees are struggling and how to revive them.

Our Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also assist as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @John57 . I'm afraid I don't know what's causing the problems with your leaves.

Is the ground waterlogged? When plants are stuck in waterlogged soil their roots can drown and begin to rot and this can begin to show as damage in the leaves.  

How much fertiliser have you given the trees, and what sort? Too much fertiliser can cause "fertiliser burn" on leaves, but again I don't know what's actually happening with your trees. If you can give us some more information it might help one of our garden gurus to pin it down.

Brad

John57
Building a Reputation

Here’s the bosses recipe

1-cup citrus fert

1/2 cup worm hit

top up with citrus soil

spread around the drip line

2 months ago…

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @John57 . I don't think that that fertiliser would have hurt the trees. I wonder if it's cold damage.

Just doing some reading online now, it looks as though young citrus trees can be particularly vulnerable to cold damage. This article from an American citrus industry magazine says it's best not to prune, fertilise or heavily water any cold-damaged citrus trees until they have put on a fair bit of new growth in the spring.

This story from the ABC's Gardening Australia looks at using "citrus tents" to protect young citrus trees in winter.

I'm still guessing here, but cold damage could be a possibility. Have you had any frost or near-freezing temperatures recently?

Brad

John57
Building a Reputation

We are also not sure of the reason and may have to wait until this cold spell is over to determine the cause and effect.

Thanks for your feedback.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @John57,

I'm interested to know what fertiliser you're using. I note you applied "1-cup citrus fert". A cup of Richgro Organics Food would be fine, but a cup of Scotts Osmocote Controlled Release Fertiliser could cause issues.

How saturated is the soil in the area? If you stick a finger in the soil, is it damp for a long period after rain and how long until the soil dries out?

Mitchell

John57
Building a Reputation

9662C5A7-FF7E-4F23-AF18-6EF388690111.jpeg

  

CC931346-22FE-4748-83B7-AA111D06BFC9.jpeg

578F4B27-0F2F-486F-A04D-1C53649A832F.jpeg

  

Mitch

Fertilizer was Richgro

Soil moisture is visible wet on finger. Odd as it is on a small mound rise. The neighboring trees are not so wet.

We are considering drainage across this area. See the slope downwards towards camera and towards the back fence. See the agi drain outlet from the retaining wall garden beds. But I suspect it’s just overall shallow soil 6-12” then clay; across this whole area. Can we remove this orange into a large pot or will the shock seal it’s fate?

37C99231-4F93-4404-A783-E3556B411088.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The shock could seal its fate @John57, though it's not looking particularly crash hot at the moment and could be on its way out if nothing drastic changes.

If you were to lift it, you'd want to take all the root ball with it and place it in the largest pot possible. The key is not disturbing the roots at all.

Mitchell

John57
Building a Reputation

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects