Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to set up irrigation on tiny balcony?

IcanSoIshall
Finding My Feet

How to set up irrigation on tiny balcony?

I'd be most grateful for advice about setting up irrigation on my balcony, 1.8m x 2.2m. I'm in a tiny retirement unit and not permitted to instal or attach anything permanent. I have no outside tap. My watering can doesn't fit in the sink, it's a palaver to fill, heavy, and needs three trips. I found a hose connector which works, but the hose hangs off a hanger from the balcony rails - hard to wind, and it's a trip hazard too. I suspect there is no streamlined answer, but I've lived a Heath Robinson lifestyle for much of my 74 years, so I don't care how it looks, I just need a work-around! The kitchen sink is at the opposite end of the unit, 7m from the cat flap where any irrigation pipe will emerge! (I did say Heath Robinson!) Can I get away with using a smaller diameter pipe than 13mm (which I do realise is the best (and why) though we are talking only pots, which will need to run via drippers from the pipe). Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How To Set Up Irrigation on Tiny Balcony

Hello @IcanSoIshall 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about setting up a tiny irrigation set in your balcony.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to water plants on my balcony? by @mybalcony. There was a suggestion regarding putting in a Maze Mini tank to hold the water for the drip irrigation system. If properly set up it should provide adequate watering for your plants for several days if not longer. But I suppose it all depends on the number plants you are watering and the environment around the balcony.

In regards to the hose, it is possible to get a clear plastic hose in a smaller diameter, but you'll need to modify the end so that it works with your kitchen tap fitting. Can you please tell us more about your plants and how many you are currently trying to water? This will give our members a better idea of the layout. We can then offer suggestions on how to set up the irrigation system.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mybalcony
Growing in Experience

Good morning Eric,

My balcony is 5mx2m and has 12 large self watering pot plants.

The drip watering system is working well and the  plants are flourishing.

See attached photo

20240130_074600.jpg

Hello Eric, 

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. To provide a little more information on what I have: my balcony gets sun all day, and is open to the front and one side. The other side is a brick wall, and there are patio doors the entire width of the back into the unit. My balcony is netted so my two cats can go in and out. My plants - I have a few hardy succulents which aren't the problem. I have two self-watering troughs with new lavender plants. Eight more pots with cat grass, cat nip, cat mint, lemon grass, a miniature rose and a murraya. I also have a 90x90cm square of lawn in a specially constructed 'tray/raised bed' on wheels where the cats can lie, and I move around regularly to catch the sun. It's survived a couple of months and doing really well. 

I have read the 'conversation' you mentioned, thank you, and looked at the links. Unfortunately my balcony is too small to put even a mini tank due to the layout. I'll search out the smaller diameter pipe you mention, and see how I may rig it up to fit my tap! Many thanks for your generous help. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @IcanSoIshall 

I suggest having a look at the Pope 10mm x 5m Clear Vinyl Tubing. They can be joined together using a 10mm barbed joiner, which you can then attach to a Holman 13mm Barbed Poly Joiner. You'll need a bit of 13mm pipe so that you can attach it back to a standard 13mm fitting. It will be a lot easier to handle as the clear hose is not as heavy as a standard garden hose. Just keep in mind that it's not as tough as a garden hose.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to set up irrigation on tiny balcony?

I work for Bunnings and may be able to help.

This product might be useful. I have used a few of these over the years for gardening friends who live in apartments and have taps with aerators: Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor - Bunnings Australia

If your tap doesn't have an aerator - these clamp on ones might be a good alternative: Holman 12mm Plain Tap Adaptor With Clamp - Bunnings Australia

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects