Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stack Jack 4 wheel heavy pot stand?

Joanne87
Finding My Feet

How to stack Jack 4 wheel heavy pot stand?

I am wondering if these Jack 4 wheel heavy pot stands can be stacked on top of each other to improve the load bearing capacity. The second set on wheels would sit between the first.

It also occured to me that the 100kg might be a maximum load bearing capacity, and therefore only apply if it is on the smallest setting. Could someone from Bunnings please clarify this?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stack Jack 4 wheel heavy pot stand?

Hello @Joanne87 

Thanks for sharing your question about the Jack 4 Wheel Heavy Duty Pot Holder. I'm afraid doubling up the stand will not add to its actual weight bearing capacity. The unit has been tested with its platform fully extended to hold up to 100kg spread out. It also means that adding an extra platform on top means that the wheel for the secondary unit will be at least 12mm off the ground, that will make it unbalanced and very dangerous.

However, I propose building a platform of your own using 70x35 H3 treated framing timber in combination with Syneco 100mm Blue Rubber Castor Set - 4 Pack

Here is an easy way to find out how much weight four castors can hold. If each castor is rated to carry 70kg multiply this by 4, which is the number of pieces we are going to be using for your platform. The total weight the castors can hold is 280kg, which we then multiply by .25. This will give us 70kg which is our safety margin which we will deduct from 280kg. The final result will be 210kg which is the safe weight the wheels can carry.

I've placed a sketch of a sample platform below to give you an idea of how you can build it. My best advice is to make sure to use Zenith 8 - 10 x 60mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws and to paint the platform in decking oil. Please note that the measurements are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that. Just a few questions:

Can I add extra casters for a heavier pot? 

Would I just attach them in a line?

Thankyou for your help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Joanne87 

Yes, you can add two more castors in line between the other two castors. Just make sure that they are exactly the same size and have the same weight bearing capacity.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Which casters should I use if I want the plant stand to be able to move in all directions?

Also: I saw a version of these casters that had a higher load bearing capacity, but were labeled unsuitable for outdoor use. Do you know why this is the case?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Joanne87,

All four castors would need to be the swivelling variety for the stand to move in all directions. Any castors labelled unsuitable for exterior use would likely be susceptible to rusting if water entered them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects