Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start a raised edible garden bed for a beginner

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to start a raised edible garden bed for a beginner

A777E22A-3710-49DB-ABD7-62CAF0EA0E1B.jpeg

5AFF0817-B7D1-4232-8DAD-E92C5F54E2BB.jpeg

20D80A06-FFBA-4061-868E-2885BBC6EFE3.jpeg

Good Morning Workshop Community Friends !!! 
Here is some inspiration for a Beginner who wants to grow some Edibles at home. 
A friend of mine wanted to start growing her own Edibles but not being a‘Gardener’ , wanted to start by setting up a Raised Garden Bed. I’m so pleased she has as it’s providing her with with plenty of greens and other veggies and herbs. 
The Bed is Galvanised Steel , 320 x 80 x 45cm. 
Filled up with Compost, Vegetable Soils and my absolute favourite Triple C Mulch which breaks down into the BEST feeding Compost !!!! 
She has been growing lots of leafy greens, carrots, tomatoes and herbs. 
Harvesting from Garden to Plate and very happy with her produce. 
It doesn’t matter how big or small your Edible Garden is , the important thing is that you get heaps of enjoyment and satisfaction from growing your own Edibles !!! 
Fruits and vegetables are becoming more expensive at the Supermarkets so even just growing a few different edibles at home will make a huge difference. 😊

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to start a raised edible garden bed for a beginner

Hi @mich1972,

This is a great write-up about how to start a raised edible garden bed. I am a beginner myself and would love to start my own. Which veggies do you find to grow the quickest? I am in Melbourne so the weather can be quite cool and even get frost in the winter. What would you suggest to protect them from this type of climate?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Katie 😊

In our Garden we have plenty of Bunching Broccoli, so it’s great as a repeat harvest, Silverbeet, Spinach , Kale, Spring Onions,  lots of Herbs to cook with - Italian Parsley, Corriander, Lemon Thyme, lemon grass and a lot more 😆 

More Herbs than vegetables !! 
We are in Perth so obviously different weather to Victoria. I am sure other Workshop members who deal with frost will be able to share handy tips. We just don’t get that cold here much at all !! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972

Thank you so much for that comprehensive list of herbs and vegetables. Let me tag @KatieC to make sure she sees your recommendation. What's the weather like at your place at moment? Do you get chilly mornings? Well-balanced afternoons and dead cold at night? We've been experiencing some very cold mornings here in Brisbane and are hoping that that will be the worst of it for this season.  

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Getting chilly now but not much rain. Had a beautiful sunny Winter day yesterday !!😊

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Oh @mich1972 all those veggies sound delightful! I would love to grow broccoli and kale. I just looked up growing cauliflower in Victoria and it says it is really difficult... but I am determined to give it a go. Or maybe I will move to someplace warmer 😉

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects