Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop neighbours water coming in?

mort57
Finding My Feet

How to stop neighbours water coming in?

20230607_152735(2).jpg

20240227_162830.jpg

20240228_081925.jpg

20240228_081925.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_094623_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_092856_Gallery.jpg

20240205_083659.jpg

 any ideas how I can stop this happening? I have a raised garden bed put in but that hasn't stopped it..neighbour told me to put a pump in as I'm lower..he has not capped of his pipe near my fence ..ideas wat to do there and to put along fence before I fill with soil..when we have a storm my back yard floods please help ..thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop neighbours water coming in?

Hello @mort57 

Thanks for sharing your question about stopping water coming into your yard. I propose installing an Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel along your fence line and where the flooding occurs. It's important to make sure that there is a fall on the drain so that it will flow away from the area.

I then recommend engaging the services of a registered plumber to link the drain to your storm water exit.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to stop overflowing water from other properties? by @Barbara35.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mort57 , I don't know what state you live in but the laws on this matter are fairly consistent in all areas. It is not good enough for your neighbour to release water such that it flows into your property and then suggest that it is your problem. If it were a natural water course created by the lay of the land (eg natural hills) that was there before development, it would be different, but you mentioned a pipe on your neighbour's side that isn't capped, so this doesn't sound like an historically natural flow.

Here are some links to a few legal and local council views from around the country stating that it is your neighbour's legal responsibility to prevent their water from going onto your land.

If you do a google search of your area you can get your own council's ruling on it, then discuss that with your neighbour. If no joy, you can then take the matter to your local council (even if you are renting).

(Victoria)
https://scanlancarroll.com.au/flooding-or-water-flow-from-your-neighbours-property-what-can-you-do/
(Qld)
https://queenslandlawhandbook.org.au/the-queensland-law-handbook/living-and-working-in-society/neigh...
(WA) - City of Stirling. quote from their fact sheet...
"The City of Stirling requires all rainfall falling within lot boundaries to be contained on site, by means of soakwells or other City of Stirling approved alternatives, including holding tanks or infiltration basins. The proposed method shall require approval in writing by the City."
(NSW)
Quoted from https://www.thehills.nsw.gov.au/files/assets/public/v/3/cms-docs/fact-sheets/stormwater-drainage-res...

"When constructing hardstand areas, you must control stormwater to prevent it from flowing onto adjacent properties. It is preferable to minimise the area of water-resistant surfaces such as concrete, paved areas and driveways."

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @mort57 

Feeling your frustration 😕

I would be following up with the council rules as @TedBear suggests. Tho you may have already or dont want to approach it, I get that.

I would be installing a drain pretty much along the lines of what @EricL has suggested. Id also be looking into the low point of your yard and factoring in drainage for that.

Do you know where your stormwater pipes are and where they go to (On your street) or exit elsewhere?

The Capping of the pipe you mention, what is the neighbours pipe? (is that the first pic?)

I dont think raised garden beds would stop the water, The excess water will find a way always. Far better that you have something in place that you dont need to rely upon your neighbour to fix/maintain. Its always a problem with things happening on the other side of fencelines so id rather keep it inhouse if at all possible.

You could potentially install a pit and drain water to it and then pump it to a tank for use later but that is an extreme solution. If you do that Id be thinking that your neighbour is paying to water your garden type deal :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Firstly if you haven't already @mort57 I would have another talk with the neighbour as it's better in the long run if you two can sort this out amicably. It's clear there are two issues, his stormwater needs repair first, then you will be able to establish what drainage issues you are left with being on his lower side, which will be your second issue. It's his responsibility to make good on this. So, as per @TedBear advice I would explain to the neighbour that if he doesn't comply with your request, then ring the local council.

Once his side is fixed, you're likely to then have some natural run-off issues, which you can then look at some of the DIY solutions with aggi pipe connected to a stormwater pit. This connection must be done by a licensed plumber.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects