Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop weeds growing on weedmat?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to stop weeds growing on weedmat?

Hello Members

Can you please propose ways to avoid weed intruding weed mat and growing further.

Below photo is taken in around 2 months after laying the weed mat.

91C9D2D4-AAA0-447F-8A6F-BE832E14A340.jpeg6720B73B-07B2-4995-B0D4-F239B252187D.jpeg

Thanks.

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Re: Weed above weedmat

To add on, Affixed Single layer of weed mat and wondering Should 3 layers of weed mat be placed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu

Thanks for sharing your question about the weed mat. Weeds are tenacious plants and find ways to overcome the barriers we place in their way. In this particular situation, I suggest moving the rocks and weed matting to mechanically remove as much of the weeds as possible. When putting the new weed mat on top, make sure that the edge is pinned very well to the ground and that there are no holes or cuts in the weed mat that will allow the soil to be exposed to light. 

Using two weed mats should be more than enough to prevent weeds from growing for some time. But please keep in mind that eventually the weed mat will wear out and the weeds will find an opening to grow into. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nagumuthu 

My experiance is dirt and seeds fall onto  the weed mat and the  weeds  germinate on top of the weed mat  sending roots down in through the mat.by passing  you mats protection or growing around the edges from underneath.

You really dont want to spray poision near your  roses.

So I use small  a 10mm wide artist brush and have a jar of weed killer at high strength and I simply paint  a couple of the weeds leaves. and they die  in a week or so.  Theres and old gardners saying (One year of  seed is 7 years of weeding)  Dont let them go to seed.  Pulling them out can leave roots  behind and your  wasting your time plus its a lot of bending which is not  easy for every one.  

Tip : add a 1 to 4   drops of dishwashing detergent into your  jar.  or your weed spray bottle it breaks the water/ poision mix  surface tension and wets the plant and not  form drops that run off.

Make sure you dont poision when  rain is due as this can wash off to your roses.

If you all ready have big weeds this  machine works a treat to thin the jungle. 

Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller I/N: 2970049  $78.89

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Hi nagumutha,

Weed mats are not designed to stop weeds altogether, but create a barrier to reduce the weed roots becoming fully established. It makes weeds, typically easier to remove. Extra layers could be tried, but won't stop weeds altogether. Unfortunately where there's dirt, there's going to be weeds. There used to be a Zero brand weed wand, which I don't know if you can still buy. It worked as an alternative to a spray. The poison soaked a wick and this was touched onto the weed so there was no overspray to affect nearby plants. Very effective especially for a small area or rocks like you have. Hope this helps.

@kacharash4 

Yes the weed wand we own it too thanks for sharing that information we where hoping it would be the ideal tool.

Basically FYI you  had to mix the plant poision  and pour it into the container above the wick and that was great it worked. But after each use your supposed to wash it out other wise the wick can leak and or become glugged up with old poision.  So it wasnt as practicable as first thought. 

The paint brush in the jar isnt perfect  either just a little more quicker to use each  weeding session  I had to cut brush  length to fit in jar and use gloves a must. But it works as a spot weeder between wanted plants much safer than spraying.

If you want a complete weed  barrier getting old newspapers and laying on the ground over lapping them is still very effective and will last a year or two as they break  down. This seams not to hurt the worms either.

Black builders  plastic will sterailze the ground almost as the heat build up helps kill weed seeds too.  But on a garden it stops  water getting to your wanted plants roots so much care is needed here. 

The best solution is a little weeding often  off the  weed mat before they  seed  and get too big and the weed mat pulls up with weed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop weeds growing on weedmat?

Hello @kacharash4

Thank you very much for sharing your ideas on weed matting. Let me tag @nagumuthu to make them aware of your suggestion. I'm always afraid for plants that get too close to poison. I suppose you would only place the weed wand in large weed infestations and away from your trees.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to stop weeds growing on weedmat?

Hi @EricL 

Actually on a  dry day you  can  reach in with a wand  or brush in a very populated plant garden and paint  the weed (only one leaf is enough)   and it dies  like its being surgically removed with no other plants effected as there is  zero risk of over spraying.

Technique  could be used in  surgery 1 drop of rattlesnake poision into a tumor would disolve it?   Ok  I better not setup  my DIY hospital lol. But rattlesnake  venom will disolve tissue just need to get quantity right.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects