Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to unwarp Pine sleeper?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

How to unwarp Pine sleeper?

I have treated pine garden bed (around 5-7 yrs old) running alone the perimeter of the house. They have been capped with 75mm sleeper on top and some of them have warped over time. I see the that the capping has been secured by nails. Would I be able to straighten the capping by screwing batten screws? The timber has warped atleast by 5-10 cm in certain places.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Unwarp pine sleeper

Hi @jaiprak,

Can you upload an image, so our helpful members have a better idea of the issue you're dealing with? They'd then be much better placed to offer useful advice.

You can certainly use landscape screws to fix the warped timber back in place. However, given these are 75mm thick sleepers, I presume you're going to struggle to return them to the correct shape. Depending on the direction in which the timber has warped, you might be able to push it back into place and fix it off. If there is substantial warping, then I'd recommend you consider replacing the timber and adequately securing it so this issue doesn't arise again.

I'll be looking forward to those images and assisting further. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

would batten screws not work? I have a big box of them (100mm). Also do you know why they would have used nails instead of screws on first place?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Large 16G batten screws would work @jaiprak, but I'm not sure if 100mm would be long enough to go through the 75mm sleeper whilst providing enough length to secure the sleeper to the post adequately. I'd suggest something along the lines of  Zenith 14G x 150mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws would be more appropriate.

I couldn't say why they chose nails instead of screws, but nails would have worked in most situations. Unfortunately, your sleeper has decided to bow upwards and pull the nails out.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch. Will try that and let you know 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jaiprak 

Just wondering how you got on with this - did you have a win?  😁

The ability of wet sleepers to warp is simply astounding - especially if they're not 'controlled' when first installed.

A neighbour tossed a large pile of old treated sleepers onto his nature strip the other day and I asked if I could have them. "Certainly!" he said.

Just looked at them now more closely. I should have looked more closely at them when they were on the nature strip.

Here's a couple (2.4m).

Now you need to trust me here - both ends, are held down on a flat surface with a heavy weight...

One EndOne End

At the other end...

20230720_122145.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

A Thursday afternoon experiment.

Expected outcome = A permanently flat and reusable sleeper.

Method = Clamp one end and cut two long wide kerfs mid-length, in the direction of the warp...

20230720_130501.jpg

And deep...

20230720_131918.jpg

Then clamp the other end - slowly...

20230720_125811.jpg

Ideally the twisting moment will bring the ends together - as the sleeper flattens...

20230720_131840.jpg

It did...

20230720_131848.jpg

Clamping was very easy now - and the other end now flat....

20230720_131854.jpg

Release the clamp.

And the wretched thing springs back to the original ridiculous angle...

20230720_125811.jpg

Conclusion = A complete and utter waste of time - but fun.  😁

However, I wonder if glue in the cuts would assist, once allowed to dry?

@Noyade @MitchellMc - I gave up on the first try itself. The screw went until it was in warped position. When I screwed it further to make it I in warp my impact drill gave up. I had to stop becos the motor started to burn. Mine was a ozito but I know Makita and ryobi could have been better but I didn’t try.

may be another experiment for you. Make a half way (or 1/3rds) cut where it is midway for warp and then try holding them down with screws.

I think they should have been held together when installed is my conclusion.

May be I will put some smurfs there doing a slide or rock climbing to make it look natural 😀

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @jaiprak 

I was thinking earlier about your specific problem. To me, it needs to come down very slowly - before you screw it into place.  One thought on achieving (possibly) this, is positioning pre-drilled thick angle iron into place and then passing a large bolt through them.

Tighten daily - just a couple of turns.

Regularly wetting the sleeper may help? Once down - screw into position or screw a thick steel plate at the back.

This is all theory of course. 😁

Scan1404.jpg

In the meantime, I'm no longer losing sleep over my sleepers.  😁

20230720_150700.jpg

Hi Noyade - Now that’s how an engineer would like to fix it and I wish I am in my 20s and have a lot of throw away time and curiosity. So I will wear my manager hat and pay $60 to get 3 new sleepers and get it done. Easier. 😀😀😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects