Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use Maze root watering system?

cypher
Getting Established

How to use Maze root watering system?

does anyone know the bunnings maze root watering system needs to be connected to water. or just fil

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: does anyone know the bunnings maze root watering system needs to be connected to water. or ju...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cypher. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the Maze root watering system.

The system is essentially a perforated pipe that allows water and fertiliser to reach the roots where it is needed. It doesn't need to be connected to water as you manually fill it with a hose from the top port. I'll include an image below showcasing its operation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cypher
Getting Established

Re: does anyone know the bunnings maze root watering system needs to be connected to water. or ju...

Thanks Mitchell.  I was also wondering how often do u fill it. I know it depends on many things buy just an average please 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cypher 

One of the critical points of having a root watering system is the time of water absorption. When water is placed under ground it sometimes does not drain away immediately because of the composition of the soil. A clay-based soil will take a long time for water to drain away, sandy soil will drain quickly, and balanced soil will drain slowly but not as slow as clay.

I suggest observing the soil in your area, once you've installed the Maze root watering system keep a log of the time the water totally dissipates from the system. Keep in mind that over watering a plant is just as bad as not watering enough. Give your tree several days to absorb all the water and once you have enough data about evaporation times you can then create a watering schedule for your tree.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

cypher
Getting Established

I installed one today. I soaked the the leca for 24 hours.  When I filled it with water it all disappeared. Will the roots feed from the leca

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cypher 

The LECA will hold a bit of water but not a great deal. Did you take note how much water you put into the watering system? I would hold off putting any more water for a few days until the inside of the Maze watering system is totally dry. Remember to write it down and observe how your tree is performing.

Eric

cypher
Getting Established

Ty Eric. It's actually in a pot plant I'm growing tomatoes 

The water I added basically just come out the bottom of the pot plant.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cypher 

I'm afraid this will not work for your tomato plant. Especially if the pot is too small. Water will not go into the soil as the bottom of the Maze system is open or touching the bottom of the pot. It is designed for direct soil application not in potted plants. 

If you are after a continuous drip feeder for your plant, I suggest looking at the Indoor Drip Spike Twin Pack. This device will allow water to go into the soil at a slow pace. Can you please post a photo of your tomato plant and the pot? This will give us a better idea of its size. 

Eric

cypher
Getting Established

20240207_060636.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use Maze root watering system?

Hello @cypher 

Thank you for sharing those photos. As you can see from your first photo the Maze watering system is too tall and it is too big for your tomato plant. The Maze watering system is more suited to larger plants and trees, using this in your pot will overwater your plant and soil. It's better to use an irrigation system or a drip spike.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects