Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for bright flowering plants for spring summer in pots

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Ideas for bright flowering plants for spring summer in pots

Last year my pots looked great 

C9174FEE-8706-4D08-A16D-048B05403CA9.jpeg

11B61A93-A32A-4F76-B571-01552C985C64.jpeg

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: bright flowering plants for spring summer in pots

I can’t remember what I planted now I love bright colours and was wondering if any suggestions 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @brendawebster44. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about flowering plants.

If you were happy with the results from last year and wanted more, you could consider other varieties of violas and snapdragons. We have plenty of other annuals that will add a splash of colour to your yard. Hanging some of the flowers could be pretty effective, too. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to create a hanging basket garden

Let me mention some of our extraordinary gardeners @Jamespeter100@LisasGarden and @Noelle, to see if they had some suggestions for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @brendawebster44 

Coming into summer, you could look at petunias, marigolds, dwarf zinnias, New Guinea impatiens, alyssum and bedding begonias for colour in pots.

For hanging baskets, trailing and cascading plants like calibrachoa (looks like miniature petunia flowers), lobelia, bacopa, Dichondra 'Silver Falls' and nasturtiums would be good in different colour combinations.

Have a look in Bunnings at baskets and pots already planted up for inspiration!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for bright flowering plants for spring summer in pots

Many thanks for those fantastic suggestions @Noelle! I'm sure @brendawebster44's garden will be flourishing with colour in no time.

Much appreciated.

Mitchell

Hello @brendawebster44 

Just to add an idea to the fantastic suggestions made by @Noelle and @MitchellMc. I recommend having a look at this guide - How to build a tiered plant stand. This plant stand will allow you to use more of your space effectively, allowing you to have a wall of flowers. 

Eric

Someone has been reading my mind. At least I will know what I have planted. I bought some violas and miniature snapdragon white petunias and mixed petunias Bobbie dazzler rings a bell. I found it very useful as far as grouping pots together and not all in a row so Thankyou for that suggestion I did try writing some thing earlier but it came back undelivered.Anyway my main problem now is rust on my geraniums. White oil does not seem to work. b🌺

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: appologies

I did move some pots together and what a difference it looks really good 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: appologies

Hello @brendawebster44

I'm glad you're feeling better. If you feel that the tiered plant stand is outside your current skill set, you could get a quote from air tasker or hipages so that you will have an idea of how much the stand might cost. As I've mentioned in my last post, it will allow you to use your space effectively.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Thankyou for your suggestions, I do realise I have far too many pansies in this year. Unfortunately covid hit again and I had to get some thing in as I didn’t know when I was going to get another chance.Not just that but I couldn’t get my passport so it would have been too late to put anything in. I suppose my saving grace was my first hanging basket since I moved to Altona. How ever everyone seems to have a word about my garden. All pots are usually sterilised before I pull everything out and start on a summer theme. Of course I had to keep every one happy this year.There were some lobilia left over from last year but I would normally have pulled them out too and bought some fresh punnets. Oh no said my friends and neighbours you can’t throw them away they are still flowering. Don’t listen!!!It has been a pain in the neck trimming and keeping them tidy Rip them out  brenda

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects