Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas wanted on how to landscape a small space

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Ideas wanted on how to landscape a small space

Hi  

I am seeking some ideas for landscaping the backyard pathway area in the pic.

the space is 120*120 with some slope (perhaps 15%)

Can you point me to some ideas?

5177B440-C668-4966-89B1-10723C2CC4BC.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ideas on how to landscape a small space

Hi @vg_39,

If you could let our helpful members know a little more about what type of landscaping you'd like to achieve in this area, they'd be better informed and able to offer excellent solutions.

Given that it's a relatively small space, it's probably best to choose a theme and go with that. I suggest you could create quite a nice little native planting. We have a wide selection of native shrubs to choose from, and plenty of them will also produce flowers. I'd recommend looking at Kangaroo paws, and possibly some Native Violets or White Stampede as ground cover around them. 

Some Tuscan Path 10kg 10 - 25mm Polished Mix Pebbles or Tuscan Path 2kg 10-15mm Lava Red Pebbles covering the soil around the plants would really complete the look.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about what you'd like to achieve in this space and offering further assistance. Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

The space had ferns all the way up to the height of the stairs which I removed. Possibly not the best decision

While i am not sure what would go well in this area, I am considering having a large partial shade plant surrounded by spider plants. 

It would be great if there was a image gallery or photos of some projects that I can have a look and get ideas

many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You've got a fairly unique space there, @vg_39, so I'm not sure you'll find many images depicting a similar scenario. A large partial shade plant sounds like a good idea, but you'll want something that doesn't have invasive roots. Given the close proximity to the porch and pathway, a Japanese Maple might work quite well.

Let me mention some of our gardening enthusiasts, @mich1972, @EleventhCoastal, @Grub80, @diy_hausdesigns and @LisasGarden, to see if they have any suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ideas wanted on how to landscape a small space

@vg_39 @MitchellMc 

Morning friends. Geez that’s a very small patch. 
Personally , if this was mine I would not plant into the bed, instead either pave it or put a layer of landscaping pebbles / gravel / stones. And put a few different size planter containers there. Then you can plant some beautiful shade loving foliage there if it’s mainly shade. Another suggestion for the pots would be a variety of beautiful succulent plants. They are easy to maintain and not water demanding. 

These are just a couple of suggestions, I’m sure there will be more. Good luck with your new project, can’t wait to see what you will do 😊

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @mich1972 

Different sized planter containers sound great. I might go with that.

thank you

Hi @vg_39 @MitchellMc @mich1972 a great little spot for absolutely anything shade related. I have a shady spot in summer, covered in tree foliage, with ferns, pots and anything I like really. The most important thing is to add interest, and perhaps vary heights, and leaves to create a vista. Good luck with your ideas. 

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Grub80 

Do you mind sharing pic of your shady spot?

Many thanks

Here’s some pictures, middle of summer…Hanging pots full of begoniasHanging pots full of begoniasOld milk churns with pots of colourOld milk churns with pots of colourFuschias, elephant ears and hydrangeasFuschias, elephant ears and hydrangeas

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed 100% 🌿🌿😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects