Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it safe to transplant roses?

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Is it safe to transplant roses?

Hi

My gardener transplanted 2 rose plants from the pots to the garden bed this morning. He had left 60cm between the 2 plants.

These rose plants spread out wide and I think the plants will get entangled. Please let me know if it is safe to take one plant out and replant it further down the bed? I do not want to stress the plant.. If yes, how soon should the replanting be done?

If it is not safe, how do I make certain the branches / flowers do not get in the way of the other plant? Please find pic below.

Thank you

Gardenhelp

Transplanted rose plantsTransplanted rose plants

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Transplanted roses

Hello @Gardenhelp 

Thanks for sharing your question about transplanting your roses. I would conservatively say that it is still possible to move one of the plants while the temperature is still cold. Technically the rose is still in dormancy due to the cold weather. But as soon as spring comes into play, I will have to recommend not moving them until next winter.

If you are hesitant to move them, I propose planting some Jack 8 x 1500mm Garden Stakes around the plant and tying the long branches using Saxon 230mm Adjustable Plant Ties - 50 Pack. This will train the rose to grow away from the other rose plant. I suggest applying the same method to the other rose plant so that they will only grow in their respective space.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Gardenhelp 

As the roses have only just been planted out from pots, it would be quite safe to remove the middle one and plant it elsewhere now.  While you're tending to the roses, they should all be pruned, to promote strong new growth in spring. All the long (tall) stems should be cut back by about half, to an outward pointing bud to keep the centre of each plant open.  They should be pruned every year while dormant, as roses flower on new shoots.  If they are not pruned, they will become very straggly and untidy, growing into one another and producing very few flowers.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Gardenhelp  It is definitely safe to transplant your roses. I personally would prune these two back as they have way too many branches and look straggly. If you can, try and prune them back straight away as they will start sending new growth. Good luck and keep us updated on how you go as I’m sure there are lots of other gardeners in the Community who are growing Roses and will be interested to see 🌿😃

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric, Mich & Noelle,

Thank you for your assistance. The rose plants have been pruned as suggested by you.

Kind regards

Gardenhelp

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects