Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mandarin fruits fall to ground early

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Mandarin fruits fall to ground early

Hi,

My mandarin tree has small fruits but they are getting yellow and falling to the ground before maturing. Please find pics of the tree and plant. I used Osmocote Citrus slow release fertiliser. Please advise.

Thanks

Garden helpTreeTreefallen fruitsfallen fruits

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mandarin fruits fall to ground early

Hello @Gardenhelp

How often have you been watering your mandarin tree? One common cause of fruit dropping is either the soil is dry or waterlogged. These soil conditions can cause fruit to fall prematurely. I suggest testing the soil by putting your finger into the first two centimetres of the soil. If it is too wet, it is waterlogged, I recommend changing your watering schedule and allowing the soil to dry up a bit. 

Your tree seems to have a lot of fruit on it at the moment. It is natural for some of the fruits to drop off as the tree naturally reduces the number of fruits it can hold.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Re: Mandarin fruits fall to ground early

Thank you Eric. I will check the soil. 

Mark57
Just Starting Out

how can i stop the under ripe mandarins from falling off

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how can i stop the under ripe mandarins from falling off

Hi @Mark57,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. 

As above, how often have you been watering your mandarin tree? One common cause of fruit dropping is either the soil is dry or waterlogged. Could you please test the soil by putting your finger into the first two centimetres and let us know whether it is too try or too wet. It might also be that the tree is too small to cope with the number of fruit on it. 

You might like to share some photos of your tree and let us know where you are based in order to assist further.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects