Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need plant suggestions for low maintenance garden

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

Need plant suggestions for low maintenance garden

We've got a stretch of garden against a westward-facing wall and need some plants to soften the white fence and give a bit of texture (also hoping it discourages any unauthorized artwork from appearing). I'm looking for suggestions of plants. I think some pigface for ground cover and maybe some native plants for a bit of height. I want them to grow around a meter or so

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Need plant suggestions for low maintenance garden

Hello @Ready2go,

Many thanks for your question. Designing your garden is such an exciting project. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide some plant suggestions once he's back online later today. Let me also tag our experienced horticulturalists @Noelle and @Adam_W for their thoughts. 

In the meantime, I suggest having a look at the guides How to choose plants for your garden and How to choose a screening plant.

The Bunnings team also shares some relevant advice in The best low-maintenance plants for your garden and 11 ground covers for your garden

Let us know which plants you end up going with. We'd love to see photos of your planted garden. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ready2go 

Can you give us a bit more information to help with planting suggestions, such as where you live (town/suburb and state), soil type etc as what we might recommend will depend on your conditions.

A photo or two of the location of the proposed planting area would also be very helpful to gauge how much space you have and what would best suit it.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Ready2go When you get time, could you please post a couple of photos of the area you would like to plant up. How much sun / shade it gets ect. Just makes it easier to help you get started. Low maintenance gardening is perfect and easy to look after. 
Planting Australian Natives, Succulents - Waterwise Plants, will make a more Sustainable Garden. Looking forward to seeing your layout 😃🌿

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: low maintenance garden

Hi @Ready2go 

My apologies for the late reply. Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your garden? It would help our members assess the area. We can then make recommendations on what plants to put in. 

In the meantime, I suggest having a look at these discussions - How to determine soil health by @Noelle and Planting a new native hedge with Murraya by @Adam_W. It should give you a couple of ideas on how to prepare your area for the plants you'll be putting in.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

20230621_143756.jpg

20230621_143805.jpg

 I'm also trying to get on top of the weeds here but the strip is fairly narrow and the wall is around 1.8m tall. the yard is in Adelaide. Thanks for the help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ready2go 

Thanks for posting that photo of your proposed garden area. Aside from the the traditional plants such as Westringia, Callistemon and Hibbertia. I propose looking at the Gardenia, Japanese Box, Murraya, Photinia and Sweet Viburnum. Once they establish themselves, they will be easy to maintain and will provide adequate cover.

My best advice is to prepare the soil very well so that the plants will have a good start once you replant them.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Agree with @EricL re selections but you will have to be careful of reflected heat and sun from the white wall facing west. Plants may need a little more attention to watering for the first few years because of this as they may be prone to rapid drying both of the soil and the leaves themselves.. Some shade cloth behind the plants to reduce glare and heat may be useful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects