Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled wheelbarrow used as planter

rgoyne
Cultivating a Following

Recycled wheelbarrow used as planter

I recently noted the suggestion in the October magazine about recycling wheelbarrows into planters.  I had an old Daytek barrow previously collected from the Green Shed it had only needed a replacement tyre but Daytek did not seem to provide spares so the planter option became viable.  I drilled fourteen holes in the galvanised bed (good Australian engineering when we made things in this country).  I then sprayed the bed with Squirts Brunswick Green but not the rest of the barrow eliminating unnecessary work also showing the industrial origins.  I then lined it with gutter guard to prevent the drainage holes from blocking up.  The barrow was partly filled with stirofoam to lighten it when filled, then filled with premium potting mix and planted out with herbs sourced from the Bunnings nursery.  By keeping the wheel on the barrow it can easily be moved around as required.  Good repurposing but not inclined to shabby chic the barrow as suggested in the magazine.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Recycled wheelbarrow used as planter

Nice work @rgoyne, many thanks for sharing. Do you still have the wheelbarrow? If so, it would be great to see some photos of it planted up.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recycled wheelbarrow used as planter

Hi @rgoyne

That is fantastic to hear that the magazine article inspired you to give this project a go. Was the original finish of the barrow in galvanized tin? It would be wonderful if you could post a photo of the wheelbarrow and the plants planted in it. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects